Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

8mm ethos...do you enjoy yours?

estwing

after spending a few hours with fellow Dob mobbers this year i think i've been talked into getting the 8E... Cranking up the power on Globs is just wonderful and the 13E + powermate gives me 314x, enough but leaves me wanting more. I have the nag 3-6 zoom which is a great ep in the Zeiss but not in the dob.So any 8mm owners out there that could add fuel to the fire. thanks.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 8mm was the 2nd Ethos I bought. It probably gets as much if not more use as the 13mm particuarly with my 12" F/5.3 dob where it gives 199x and still shows half a degree of sky. It's a superb tool for planetary nebulae and globular clusters, galaxies such as M82 and it seems particuarly good at showing the E & F Trapezium stars. It's no slouch on the planets and the Moon either although I generally use more power on those.

It's not at all par-focal with the 13mm or 21mm Ethos but is with the 6mm Ethos.

So all in all a load of rubbish like many of the other Tele Vue eyepieces :grin:

I really don't know what the 8mm will be like in your Dobsonian scope but I use mine a fair bit over the others I have. I can't really think of a better eyepiece for a Dob with the beauifully adjusted 100 degree field. I also feel it is a little easier on the eye than some of the others in the range.

Alan.

No experience in a dob, but gets lots of use barlowed on planets and the moon. Plus goes deep into M42 nicely, bringing out the trapizium and nebulosity very well indeed. Also on transparent nights on M45 really brings green / blueish nebulosity alive in my little scope.

The most difficult to me is the 21mm of the ones I have, 6mm-21mm. I know not everyone likes it but the biggest one is the only one I cannot see the full FOV easily, not that I am saying it is hard work, really all I have are easy to use, just this one is a little more tricky.

The 8mm we were talking about was much easier for me than the 7mm Nagler for example.

Great eyepieces, now that's a Top Gear top tip.

Alan.

All I hope is the desire for an 8mm Ethos keeps you awake at night and you suffer for it Calvin.  :evil:  :evil6:

Its the best of the Ethos range by a HUGE margin and would prove the ultimate eyepiece in your 18" Dob. shame you haven't got one really eh :D

Me.......bitter.........never  :evil:  :evil:  :grin:

My poor Nagler  :crybaby2:

Adding some fuel to the fire, what about the 8mm Delos? :evil:   I got one because of rumours that the image quality is even better and for me that took priority over the wider field just in case I get a good look at a planet.  The field of view is still wide enough for me to experience the spacewalk.

I did look at the 21mm Ethos in a shop but didn't like the need to swivel my eye.  I notice that some people would not agree!  I may yet get the 17mm...

Adding some fuel to the fire, what about the 8mm Delos? :evil:   I got one because of rumours that the image quality is even better and for me that took priority over the wider field just in case I get a good look at a planet.  The field of view is still wide enough for me to experience the spacewalk.

I did look at the 21mm Ethos in a shop but didn't like the need to swivel my eye.  I notice that some people would not agree!  I may yet get the 17mm...

at high power the delos fov is to small at that focal length, especialy on globs and planatery nebulas , stick in the ethos and you can just relax and let your mind float around in space

at high power the delos fov is to small at that focal length, especialy on globs and planatery nebulas , stick in the ethos and you can just relax and let your mind float around in space

Too small?  I make it 0.32°!  My machine has about the same focal length and I have not noticed any problems.  Perhaps there are multitudinous nice big things up there that shall remain forever lost in light pollution where I live.  Delete "perhaps".

But I have the solution: I need (a) more eyepieces and (B) darker skies.  That should fix it.  I wonder why I didn't think of it before.

dont no what scope you have. as a idea my 6mm delos gave me .27 tfov and my 8mm ethos gives me .5 tfov massive difference. and then theres the quality of the glass

Ah! you need to read my very interesting and not-at-all-far-too-long thread:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/229774-hubble-optics-ul16-16-f45-dobsonian-my-experience/ :grin:

The short answer is 16" f/4.5 so near enough the same focal length as estwing's 18" and I don't envy him that extra 2" at all, no definitely not, not, notty not not.

Archived