Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

8mm ethos...do you enjoy yours?

estwing

faulksy's right the FOV in a 6mm delos is pants we had it against my 7mm celestron LX 82deg and it was so much nice seeing some sky around the glob. dont get me wrong the delos range is top class but why settle for jag when you can have a bently  B)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said earlier in the thread, I'm a great fan of the Ethos eyepieces and the 8mm gets loads of use. I don't think we should be in any hurry to show any disrespect for the Delos eyepieces though, or the Pentax XW's for that matter.

Their field of view is generous (not "pants" at all IMHO :rolleyes2: )  as is their eye relief and the latter makes them a practical proposition for those that wear glasses when observing, which the Ethos / ES 100's may not be for many. Setting aside the hyper wide field of view, I think the Delos and XW's are possibly optically just a tad better than the Ethos are. 

I enjoy discussing the pros and cons if exotica such as the Ethos and, personally, I love to use them but I think we ought to be able to do that without showing disrespect for other peoples choices, which I'm sure were made with a lot of thought and care :smiley:

... a lot of thought and care :smiley:

Yes, mostly in circles within circles but I ended up with items I'm very pleased with: 26mm Nagler :grin:, 8mm Delos :grin:.  It may be that I thought so long that I forgot my very specific reasons for not getting those focal lengths which shows that sometimes you get lucky!

I don't actually feel dissed but in any way, it has just struck me that the true field of an 8mm 72° is the same as that of a 7mm 82° which implies depantsification. :angel4:

I may have a chance to sort-of put it to the test: my next eyepiece (possilby an autoChristmaspresent) is likely to be a 17mm Ethos which with a 2x Powermate will be pretty similar to the 8mm Ethos once I have been to the gym and done some weights.  Then I shall carefully avoid looking at pictures of the 13mm... :Envy:

• 2 months later...

I have just been looking at things with the 17mm Ethos :grin:.  Very, very beautiful views of the moon at 108x and nice views of a few other things that made it past the moon-glow.

There is a big danger that it will be promoted to favourite eyepiece -plenty of magnification but still with a big enough field of view for finding things.

I still don't repent of my decision to get the 26mm Nagler instead of the 21mm Ethos.  The Nagler has a bigger true field that I can take in in one go.  But I would not challenge to a duel anyone who would have chosen the other way...

I'm glad you are enjoying your 17mm Ethos :smiley:

Personally I feel the Ethos has one or two slight performance edges over the Naglers apart from the field of view but both ranges are excellent. I'll be keeping my 31mm Nagler despite having the 21mm Ethos :smiley:

After warming up and having some more liquid fuel, our intrepid explorer went out again to look up...

...the Ethos has one or two slight performance edges over the Naglers..

I can believe it even if I can't quantify why.  I might start to notice if I get a Paracorr... (sound of wallet whimpering).

Back to the topic: I have just done the experiment of comparing the 8mm Delos with the 17mm Ethos + 2x powermate.  Putting the Delos in, I immediately notice that the 17Ex2 is much superior in terms of the spacewalk experience but as soon as I concentrate on a specific crater I stop noticing -partly because I am busy and partly because 72° is still a lot.  To summarise the summary of the summary, all of these eyepieces are marvellous and the world is a better place for having them!

• 3 weeks later...

Most excellent and enjoyable thread but one which is making me question my approach to observing.

I'm thinking that either you guys have some stupendous skies or I'm doing something wrong. If my maths is right, an 8mm in the 18" f3.9 gives a power of around 220x and I cannot think when I have ever used that kind of power to view deep space objects. In the 10", I'm usually hovering around 120x and feel I'm being quite daring when I up that to 160x or so. Most times, I just don't like the high power image and prefer to back off before sketching or concentrating on the DSO (not Moon or planets).

Is the reason you guys can push more power due to better optics or skies? Or is it due to having significantly bigger aperture, or do you feel I am observing wrong?

I know there's no right answer to this and I know different objects like different powers, but in my head, an eyepiece giving over 200x would be a rarely used eyepiece. Should I be a little less conservative, and really up the power when out?

The 8mm Ethos gives 199x with my 12" F/5.3 dob. But it also shows half a degree of sky.  Plenty enough to fit many DSO's in with some ease. M82 is a good example. The additional power allows you to examine it in some detail and it seems to reveal it's dark rifts and brighter knots really well  :smiley: 

Most excellent and enjoyable thread but one which is making me question my approach to observing.

I'm thinking that either you guys have some stupendous skies or I'm doing something wrong. If my maths is right, an 8mm in the 18" f3.9 gives a power of around 220x and I cannot think when I have ever used that kind of power to view deep space objects. In the 10", I'm usually hovering around 120x and feel I'm being quite daring when I up that to 160x or so. Most times, I just don't like the high power image and prefer to back off before sketching or concentrating on the DSO (not Moon or planets).

Is the reason you guys can push more power due to better optics or skies? Or is it due to having significantly bigger aperture, or do you feel I am observing wrong?

I know there's no right answer to this and I know different objects like different powers, but in my head, an eyepiece giving over 200x would be a rarely used eyepiece. Should I be a little less conservative, and really up the power when out?

thats very strange rob, i would of thought with less humidity (more stable skys) you would be able to push well past what we use. i often use over 300x on planets certainly above 200x  on dso,s.  ok depending what they are but globs and pn .realy am surprised at that :smiley:

I am still half asleep but I get the idea you have just joined the 8mm Ethos club, congratulations they really are superb eyepieces. I bet it will perform very well in your 18 inch, mine comes next week I think so I can use my 10mm to see what your views are like.

I feel the Ethos and the Dobsonian were made for each other.

Alan

Oh Poo.

Just thoroughly enjoyed reading the whole thread. I was entirely happy with my 8mm Delos.......

Not being able to see the entire FOV is a new one on me. I hated it for about 20 mins......

I'm just really glad that these things are in my "don't even think about it" budget category.

Paul

Alan, out of interest which ethos do you find most difficult to use?

Thanks

Gavin

I have down to 6mm so minus the two very short ones though I will add the 4.7mm when I can divert the wifes eyes from my bank account.

I did find the 21mm the most difficult of the ones I have though this was only really due to lack of use. I was using it last night and I don't have any issues with it any longer. If you are not a glasses wearer and if you have deep pockets and arms long enough to reach the bottom of them they are up there with the best eyepieces on the market. The range I have are pretty much flat field, sharp to the edge, they out perform all but maybe the Nikon 100's small range and hold their secondhand value, what more could one ask for, they were half the price maybe.

BTW from what I have read the differences between the Nikon and the Ethos is microscopic then consider not everyone would see it the same way.

Alan.

Archived