SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Plato and surrounding region

neil phillips

Seeing on the crater itself ( not the surrounding area as much) was probably the calmest i had on the evening. with 6 or 7 craters being visable on the floor. 9 panes with a celestron 2x ultima barlow, two tube extensions ( one long one short ) for more power. DMK21a 245mm Newt

60% downsized

5621480831_8a62253087_o.png

100% Capture size CLICK to enlarge

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5265/5622062094_ff99bc6489_o.png

100% FULL panes rotated

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5268/5622141962_680049a9af_o.png

Darker curves

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5148/5622063299_bb18c75dc5_o.png

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not as good as your best Lunar Neil but practise on the Moon is always good if reasonable seeing is there and some detail comes out. I know you prefer criticism so I would say too soft and smooth generally and a bit dim which is how I end up with my efforts with the dimness as I just don't seem to notice in my own images. I like a bit of noise on the smooth lava floors. This is a lovely area though, just love the contrast of surfaces from smooth to rough with that rille to right of Plato showing strongly.

John.

Thanks all, the data on Plato was somewhat better than the surrounding regions, im kind of wondering John if i could process this a bit better, but if so then only in terms of sharpness and light balance, as i did a k3 optimize before stacking on avi stack, on all but the last 4 corner parts which were done on reg 6, as reg 6 keeps the intire movement parts of the image better than avi stack i found. i couldnt optimize those parts on k3 because i was losing too much, due to said movement. So maybe i could have balanced this better. looking at it again. I think the data is reasonable for the conditions i aquired it in. But yes i agree it kind of does look a bit soft. but i must admit i dont like noise on the lava floors. especially platos floor. So getting a clean noise free sharp image is the goal, that i was striving for. which i agree seems to fall short slightly having got away from the image. and coming back this morning. I may work on this. as the data is better than anything ive had recently. certainly better than this area i took a while ago. where no craters where showing on the floor. Looking at other 10" shots of this region, from other good lunar imagers it doesnt

seem to be doing too badly in terms of sharpness and lack of blur. though the lighting is somewhat off i think ? mmmm im uncertain to be honest. untill i process a improvement i think. im pretty much out of practice. I actually looking at it again think it could benefit with some contrast as well as possibly less smoothing. Not sure if you agree ?

Yes Neil I think contrast may give it what it needs to lift it, anyway great to see you give the Moon some mirror time, sounds like seeing is mediocre recently for you. I got some good lunar back in Feb but Saturn too big a pull here in Oz.

John.

Beautiful image Neil, can you tell me what (if any) filters you used for the shot? What (if any) do you recommend for lunar imaging?

Thanks,

Nick

Thanks for the interest again everyone

Hi if seeing is poor to mediocre which it is for most of us, most of the time, a red filter is one most often used, i used a Astronomik type 2 red here. But ive also got semi reasonable results with a cheap red filter. depends how much you want to spend, how big your scope is ect. Stefan slammel likes to use green filters a lot. not as good at rejecting poor seeing as a red. but a better signal for small scopes maybe ? whats others views ? I like red filters

Archived