Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Stroud, Gloucestershire

iwatkins

Hi All,

My name is Ian and I live in Stroud, Gloucestershire.

I've been a fan of astronomy since about 7 years old when I was bought a small Tasco refractor for a birthday.

Over the years I've come and gone from astronomy and never really got into it properly mainly as costs were huge and I never had a dark site to view from. So over the years it has been large binos and MarkI eyeball for most of my viewing.

In more recent years I've also spent a lot of time with DSLRs and even done some wide-field photography.

I recently moved to Stroud (well, it was four years ago) and our home here has a good sized garden with only a little light pollution. It is also only a ten minute drive to get to some really dark skies on well elevated points (we are on the Cotswold escarpment).

I also work from home full-time, which I feel very privileged to do. I work for the Met Office but please, the cloud cover isn't my fault. :icon_eek:

So here I am. Well, been here nearly a week and read as much as I can.

I'm looking to get a telescope for viewing at first and maybe in the future some imaging as well. Just trying to decide what to get now.

Cheers

Ian

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Ian, have you joined a society yet? Always a really good place to get to see some scopes and have a look through / see the size for moving and storage practicality etc...

I belong to the Chipping Norton Amateur Astronomy Group - Cnaag - and we are a friendly group with an emphasis very much on getting in as much observing as possible. You would be very welcome to come to a meeting or observing evening at anytime. It really is a great way to gather information and experience and help you make the right decision before purchasing equipment and accessories.

If we are a bit far to get to I'm sure there are other great groups in your neck of the woods.

Good luck

Hi Ian and welcome to the forum.

No doubt you will do a lot of reading about this scope or another and it won't take you long before you have more questions than you have answers. One way of sorting through all this information, is to establish some kind of datum line from which all the information can be compared against. The best way of establishing this is to have a look through gear first, be it at a local astro club meeting or an observation night run by a local observing group (they aren't necessarily one and the same). It is from this experience that you will quickly begin to realise what type/size of scope will meet your expectations and what might best suit your needs be it observing or possibly imaging.

Again welcome to the forum, try to look through some kit first and post your questions on the beginners section and I'm sure we can help get you started in the right direction. If imaging is your destination, try getting hold of a copy of Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) as it will comprehensively outline all that you need and why you need it - it's not cheap.

James

Hello Ian, welcome aboard......I moved to the forest about 2yrs back, so not far from you....like you say, lovely dark skies......you're at the right site for moving further into Astronomy, great bunch of people here, I wouldn't know a fraction of what I know now without this place!

Archived