SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M53 Globular Cluster with 12"

DarkerSky

Here's my M53 globular cluster sketch in Coma Berenices through my 12" scope at x300. Observing & sketching time on this was about 4 hours total over 3 observing nights. I'm pretty happy with the result. Plotting the positions of some of the fainter halo stars was a challenge! Resolved 30+ of them in the end. I just love the 12th mag star in the NE. It really sparkles in the eyepiece :icon_eek:

M53.png

The inner halo stars were on the edge of resolution and gave a dappled appearance. The core itself was clumpy with brighter areas and darker areas. Definitiely less round at high power than at low power.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you have done an amazing job with that Seb. Your 4 hours hard work has really paid off. I never observed M53 with the 12 when i had it, so can't say how my view appeared. But will now checkout M53 with the 6".

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments all.

It is a scan from the original drawing that I then converted to negative. Got rid of a few dust specks, rounded some stars and brightened some stars in photo software

Currently working on a detailed sketch of M5 globular cluster, but having to stop for moon interference. It is taking me forever!

Superb effort! Globulars are really hard to capture a "3D" feel since they have faint little "firecrackers" that pop in and out of view and you think you'd never capture them all. However your efforts simply prove the lie. Well worth the effort in recording them.

Fantastic detail Seb.

I'm returning to astronomy and inparticular sketching with a 12" Flexi Auto in a couple of weeks.

Looking at this amazing rendition, its more than whetted my apertite.

Did you complete this in pencil and then invert the image or actual white on black. ???

Eddie Horsley

Thanks again to all of you for the kind comments.

Eddie - yes, it was a pencil sketch on white, which I then inverted on my scanner. It'll be great to see your 12" sketches. The LMC sketch from the Falklands was a beauty!

Archived