Good day all...

franco

...or should it be good night?

Just thought i should introduce myself before i bombard the forums with rookie questions!

So im Chris, im 24 and i live in north Herts, I have always had a fascination with the stars and especially our solar system and have spent many a summer evening staring up above. I have decided to peruse this fascination and actually learn what it is im looking at and be able navigate the sky.

So I have bought a couple of books to get me started, I am now looking into invest in a telescope, After seeking some advice from a couple of stores and reading some reviews (and my budget)on here i am leaning towards a skywatcher skyliner 200p dob.

I have recently taken up photography as a hobby so im hoping to combine the two hobbies to get some stunning results.

so there you go,

oh and does anyone know of any astronomy groups in the herts / beds area?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Chris, welcome to the Lounge.

The 200p is a well regarded scope and has had some good reviews. However you won't get a lot of imaging done with it as the mount does not track, it's about as basic as you can get, the upside is you get the biggest optics for your money.

You may get some Lunar and planetary with a webcam set up, but it a visual scope, and it will give you some good views.

Welcome

The hardest thing when you're starting is finding what you are looking for.

A good pair of binoculars is a good starting point but most people probably opt for a goto scope these days ( I would have done if they had been around when I started).

hi chris and welcome to the lounge, 200p sounds great ,i have got some pics with the 300pof te moon and planets but still dipping my toes in the water with it my self pic wisebut a huge welcome and let us no of ya first night out when ya get the scope

thanks for all your warm welcome messages,

dod, i think the SW Herts is a little far away, i live right on the border of beds, i think the beds astro society is alot closer to me.

i do plan on getting a decent pair of binoculars very soon in fact, got a budget of around 50 quid if anyone can recommend a pair. alos is there a minimum magnification i should consider?

also could someone briefly explain to me the purpose of barlows? i hear they can greatly increase the magnification? are there any pros and cons?

thanks again

Archived