Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Little Dipper?

Timbo

Hello All,

I have lurked on this site and the many retailers' sites for many months now. I've have spent many more hours pouring over reviews of scopes and mounts etc and bought a few starter books.

I will avoid at this time, any questions about which 'first scope' to buy because firstly, I am very aware that my questions have been asked and answered a thousand times over! Secondly, I made a Christmas heart-not-head purchase of a cheap and cheerful Celestron Travel Scope 70mm from Currys!

TBH, I simply cannot make up my mind about a telescope that I'd really want to own; having confused myself reading too much and analysing even more!

There is a paucity of shops that display telescopes and this makes choosing one for suitability, ease of use, comfort-of-viewing or even on looks alone difficult. I'd just like to get near one to look at it. :)

I'm enjoying learning the skies with my Lidls 10x50 bins (thanks Stargazers Lounge!) and now my cheapo 70mm refractor.

I will take the plunge this year though.

Ever hopeful. and still researching.

Tim

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tim and welcome to forum.

You 'nearly' hit the nail on the head when you said you "I'd just like to get near one to look at it" because what I thought you were going to say was to get near one to look 'through' one!:)

You're not the first I have said this to but looking at all the brochures in the world will not help you know what the numbers quoted truly mean unless you actually look through a scope. It's then that you gain some idea whether a particular scope will meet your expectations! My recommendation to you would be to contact your local astro soc/observing club to find out when they are performing their next observation evening so that you can go along, have a look at and through and so start your real research. :(:)

This doesn't mean that you can't ask questions here because that too is important, its just that you need a point of reference to hang the answers from and to help you make sense of what kit you'll probably want to get.

Clear skies

James

Hi Tim, a warm welcome to the SGL forum, my family tried to choose a scope for me and I ended up with a Meade DS2090 GOTO as a present, which was extremely nice of them, but not what I wanted, so it remains in its box to be sold along with other things to fund extras for the scope I have now, it took me many months to reach a decision, as Brantuk implied, take your time.

John.

Hi All, and thank you for your warm replies and welcomes,

I've just completed a long missive and posted it only to discover that I timed-out and lost the reply. It is now late and so I'll respond and add some more detail later.

Thank you,

Tim

Archived