Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Little Dipper?

Timbo

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tim and welcome to SGL.

I know exactly what you mean about doing too much research. I think you've already done the right thing by getting a pair of binocs and a small telescope. You can't beat binocs for a fantastic view of Orion's belt and sword. You just won't get that in the field of view of a telescope. The scope's also a good choice from the point of view of ease of use and portability. You also need a bit of an observing plan so you know what to view as the year progresses. I'm making a point of seeking out double stars at the moment. There are some lovely ones about which your scope should show easily.

Happy observing. Dave.

Hello All,

Thanks again for your welcomes since my last post. I've just popped in to find more of you responding to my initial post. I'm pleasantly surprised :)

I'm in Plymouth, Devon, Photohound. I know exactly what you are saying davidv, the binocs do give beautiful views especially immediately after the narrow views from the scope.

I have dark Cornwall and beautiful Dartmoor within 15 mins drive, to get to darker skies.

When weather is good I'm on Dartmoor with a bro' inlaw and mate on a Friday. We started doing this years ago just to get away from the city and simply to watch the sky.

This has recently turned into a Friday night with a camera, then more recently, bins were added and now we have two new but very affordable Celestron 70mm Travelscopes!

Things have escalated and and we're all itching to use our planispheres, red cycle lights and new scopes on wobbly camera tripods!

Learning the skies at sub zero temps into the early hours is just great.

Now, I do have a question.......... bound to come :).......

Can we feasably 'up' the magnification from our current X40 mag with supplied EPs with a Barlow or such and will this simple scope handle slightly more magnification without the image deteriorating markedly at a decent cost?

Thanks

Timbo

Hi again from torrential Devon,

What a great resource and collection of enthusiats here. If I'm not out under a break in the clouds then I'm here on SGL learning my way round. Still waiting to use my Travel scope in anger otherwise dreaming of a larger scope. That can wait though.

Currently raining here!

Hi Tim, I could've written your post myself. I bought a SW70mm refractor in November because i was bewildered by the choice and suffering from "paralysis by analysis". Finally my wife could stand no more and demanded i buy something. It's a very simple scope but it has got me started quite cheaply, so no complaints.

All the best and clear skies!

Hi Tim and welcome to the forum

Can we feasably 'up' the magnification from our current X40 mag with supplied EPs with a Barlow or such and will this simple scope handle slightly more magnification without the image deteriorating markedly at a decent cost?

The rule of thumb is that the maximum USEFUL magnification you can get from a scope is 2x(aperture in mm), in your case then 140x.

HOWEVER, do not be seduced into thinking this will necessarily give you better views. A small bright image will often show more than a big dim one.

Archived