Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

It must be true.... 'cos I'm here!!

technofan

Should have done this about 15 years ago!! My name's Pete and have had a crick in my neck for far too many years from looking up! I have never done anything about it (buying a scope that is, the 'crick' is fictional) but it's never too late. Being here is hopefully the start of things to come. I still haven't got any kit mind but am looking to start out very soon. I am a keen photographer with a good grasp of all things DSLR and hopefully much of that knowledge will read across to telescope optics.

I am in Lincolnshire.... Here's a piccy I took the other day with my DSLR and a standard 150mm lens. Multiple exposures stacked and processed. I hope to take this forward as I love photography:headbang:

5370410622_96a83292aa_b.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for a warm welcome guys:) I have a love for optics which is going to mean more expense as I eventually buy some equipment. I can already see the 'loving looks' from my better half as I discuss the reasons for what I need...(oh dear....:D)..

I hope my children will enjoy looking through a telescope too and that they become interested. I have my heart set on a quality refractor. A lottery win right now would be very helpful:p

Pete.

Thank you.

I've just noticed that I'm a 'Vacuum':D So many people who know me would agree with that!!

5356793014_48bbdaaf70_b.jpg

The Moon is a 100% crop single exposure... again with a DSLR and standard 150mm lens.

5356244169_1907f2cffd_b.jpg

This is a single 20 second exposure with a 12mm lens....

LOL @ Vacuum - have a peek here and all will be revealed :evil1:

http://stargazerslounge.com/welcome/77221-user-ranks-post-counts.html

:D

I guess as physics strides forwards and the books are re-written these could be changed or added to? I saw the other day that we may be part of a 'Holographic Universe':eek: It was on 'Horizon' I think... fabulous episode that no doubt is still on the BBC iplayer

Hi Pete, welcome to SGL.

Nice images mate, keep up the good work.

There are a good few members who live in the Flatlands, pop over to East Midland Stargazers (Community, then social groups) and have a look. There is a gang of them looking to get a dark site organised, so a group get together is looking promising. Iam sure you would be welcome.

Hi Pete,

A very warm welcome to the SGL forum, I think your competency in photography is without question, Brantuk mentioned a sweet shop, believe you me there is one H..l of a lot of sweets for you to target up above, I think we are all looking forward to seeing some more of you work, and if you purchase a scope you will, no doubt, want to expand into the world of the webcam, welcome to the dark side as we call it.

John.

Hi Pete and welcome to the forum.

Can I start by recommending you get hold of Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95). It is a comprehensive guide to what you need, why you need it and how to use it to get the level of images that you want. Imaging is as much about time spent collecting the data and processing it as it is about kit and capture. The most important element would appear to be the mount and its accuracy because without that, all the sweets will still have their wrappers on.:D There are many similarities to terrestial photography but there are also many differences. Hopefully Steve's book will give you the necessary overview of how 'dark' the "darkside" can really get so that you know what you're getting yourself into - and if you read it before getting any kit, it might even save you money.

Clear skies

James

Hi Pete and welcome to the forum.

Can I start by recommending you get hold of Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95). It is a comprehensive guide to what you need, why you need it and how to use it to get the level of images that you want. Imaging is as much about time spent collecting the data and processing it as it is about kit and capture. The most important element would appear to be the mount and its accuracy because without that, all the sweets will still have their wrappers on.:) There are many similarities to terrestial photography but there are also many differences. Hopefully Steve's book will give you the necessary overview of how 'dark' the "darkside" can really get so that you know what you're getting yourself into - and if you read it before getting any kit, it might even save you money.

Clear skies

James

Thanks James....

... I think I will have to slowly build up to the kit I need:rolleyes: A shortage of pennies means I'll no doubt work my way up by buying and selling over a period of time. Your point about stability and data capture is not lost on me... even in some of the 'daytime' photography I do data capture comes into the formula as I collect multiple light and dark frames to get the best possible photo processing information. I guess HDR photography is the latest daytime equivalent.

I would wish to star track via laptop or perhaps something like the Synguider Autoguider? I certainly need something that can track accurately for many minutes at a time.

This is all in the future for the time being I'll probably start with a 'medium weight' mount and a refractor that will later become a guide scope (when it gets relegated to the subs bench;)).

Thanks for the recommendations,

Pete:)

Although not a sky shot this was a multiple exposure to get all the dynamic range I was after, getting the 'best' data is what it's all about for me...

5093772092_961ee42963_b.jpg

Here's a teeny weeny camera shot of Jupiter:p There's no way you could see the moons with the eye...but a quick 2 second exposure and up they popped!!

5354642031_37bd231af6_b.jpg

Hi Pete,

A very warm welcome to the SGL forum, I think your competency in photography is without question, Brantuk mentioned a sweet shop, believe you me there is one H..l of a lot of sweets for you to target up above, I think we are all looking forward to seeing some more of you work, and if you purchase a scope you will, no doubt, want to expand into the world of the webcam, welcome to the dark side as we call it.

John.

Thanks John,

I have a lot to learn but yes, webcams and cameras is where I want to be...:)

Thanks James....

... I think I will have to slowly build up to the kit I need:rolleyes: A shortage of pennies means I'll no doubt work my way up by buying and selling over a period of time. Your point about stability and data capture is not lost on me... even in some of the 'daytime' photography I do data capture comes into the formula as I collect multiple light and dark frames to get the best possible photo processing information. I guess HDR photography is the latest daytime equivalent.

I would wish to star track via laptop or perhaps something like the Synguider Autoguider? I certainly need something that can track accurately for many minutes at a time.

This is all in the future for the time being I'll probably start with a 'medium weight' mount and a refractor that will later become a guide scope (when it gets relegated to the subs bench;)).

Thanks for the recommendations,

Dont rule out an astrotrac if you already have a decent dslr set up

Astrophotography Made Easy - Home

and welcome to the forum

Dont rule out an astrotrac if you already have a decent dslr set up

Astrophotography Made Easy - Home

and welcome to the forum

That looks very interesting... sadly everything that costs a lot looks interesting to me:o

Please keep an eye out for me pestering for knowledge...I've a list of questions as long as your arm!! I've already been in contact with a telescope company (First Light) as I want to start with a medium weight tripod that can take information from a laptop or Autoguiding device. I don't believe a 'full' goto mount is essential?? Maybe a Syntrak system or an EQ3-2 with the motor drive added would have the required ports to 'talk' to a computer or autoguider. First Light are advertising a Vixen 80mm in the clearance section. I'm very interested in this as I feel it may serve as a future guide scope and will also act as a grab and go scope too?? I'm not sure if the EQ3-2 will be steady enough for photography but if it gets me started it would suffice. As I said I think I will have to work up to the kit I hope to own one day....

Pete.

Archived