NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi From Devizes, Wiltshire

G2EWS

Hi Everyone,

Found this forum whilst researching what telescope I may buy. Seems a mine of information.

From near Devizes in Wiltshire and am an amateur photograhper with a bias towards Nikon!

I have been thinking of getting a telescope with the specific purpose of taking it away in our RV (motorhome) so it would need to be portable and have a camera interface.

So far I have been round the block looking but will put a thread up in the gear section.

Looking forward to re visiting a hobby I had as a very young boy.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum.

Linking up a camera to a scope will only yield results if the mount that it's sat on is motorised, which can have an impact on a kit's mobility. Typically, a webcam might present a useful alternative in capturing targets like the planets or the Moon. As these objects are very bright, they require less exposure time and therefore negate the need to track these objects. A webcam is also useful in collecting many frames of which the poorer ones (due to air turbulence blurring the image) can be discarded and the good ones stacked and made into a composite image. Conversely, deep sky objects such as galaxies and nebula, being a lot fainter require longer exposure times. Given the movement of the earth, this will necessitate tracking these objects as they 'move' across the sky and so to facilitate these long exposures, the mount, its accuracy and set up will become particularly important and time consuming and therefore making the setup less pickup and go.

There is plenty of great kit for observing that is portable and which can offer great views but imaging which includes a DSLR camera will reduce the choice of what could be truly called a portable setup.

Clear skies

James

Hi All,

Thanks for the additional welcomes.

Nigel, I have to say I always get asked that when I join a forum! Although I am an electronics engineer in radio communication it is not a call sign. Much simpler explanation!

It is the registration of my RV which is also my surname

Surname is: GREW

Reg and handle: G2EWS

Hi James, yes I am still trying to get my head around how a web cam can take a good photo! Still reading and learning.

Best regards

Chris

Archived