NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello hello

BlaneStar

:)Hello everyone, I hope you're all well. I'm very new to this fascinating hobby, but i've decided i'm going to learn, listen to advice and spend when the time comes, I've been interested in photography and the wonders of the universe for many years, and it seems the logical progression to combine the two. I have the feeling I'm in the right place :D I'm a total beginner, but cannot wait to learn and see whats out there. :evil1:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It has to be said that the "Darkside" (astrophotography) is producing images that are truly out of this world (couldn't help myself - sorry) Peter's image at the top of this page is clear evidence of this standard and I wouldn't want to be a judge that has to pick through many images like to decide on a winner. It's no wonder that this level of imaging proves so attractive to so many people who feel drawn to participate in it. Having said that, the amount of experience and technical knowledge required, the cost of the equipment and the time taken to capture the data and to then later process it cannot be underestimated. If you're interested in participating, can I recommend that you first get a hold of Steve Richards' book "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) to read up on what you need, why you need it and how to use it in order that you can produce the level of images that you're after. It is a comprehensive guide that might save you money by having a clear overview from the start.

Clear skies

James

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It has to be said that the "Darkside" (astrophotography) is producing images that are truly out of this world (couldn't help myself - sorry) Peter's image at the top of this page is clear evidence of this standard and I wouldn't want to be a judge that has to pick through many images like to decide on a winner. It's no wonder that this level of imaging proves so attractive to so many people who feel drawn to participate in it. Having said that, the amount of experience and technical knowledge required, the cost of the equipment and the time taken to capture the data and to then later process it cannot be underestimated. If you're interested in participating, can I recommend that you first get a hold of Steve Richards' book "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) to read up on what you need, why you need it and how to use it in order that you can produce the level of images that you're after. It is a comprehensive guide that might save you money by having a clear overview from the start.

Clear skies

James

Thank you for your advice James, I shall defiantly get hold of that book. it sounds like a helpful tool for me

Hi there.. good choice

I'm a recent newbie here too, drawn by the same interest as yourself. I took the advice and got "Making Every Photon Count" on Friday.. probably read it twice over at least by now.. the best primer by far.

There's a lot of great information and very helpful people here, you're in very good hands.. enjoy

Graham

Archived