Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

newcomer

jimmythemoonlight

still not sure how this whole thing works so bear with me i have recently been out trying to spot all kinds of things sometimes successful sometimes not the best thing so far is the planet jupiter and its four moons i only have a skywatcher 130 telescope with a 5 inch lens at my disposal but i think it does the job for me very shortly im going to start taking pictures with a canon eos650 with colour and black and white film if anyone could give me some tips or show me some pictures of things they have taken of the universe went out this morning at about 3am to see if i could find saturn is this possible with my telescope or am i being to optomistic the sky was full of cloud or fod or both couldnt even see the moon anyway thats all for now youll be glad to hear looking forward to some responses thanx jimmythemoonlight merseyside:blob10::evil1::blob10::):p:hello2::D:confused:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jimmy and welcome to the forum.

Your set up is fine for looking at Saturn but why not try Jupiter which is high over in the West as it starts to get dark?

With regards to imaging I'm not sure if you have all the necessary kit. If you want to image the moon or planets, you will need to use a webcam device. These objects are bright which will allow you to perform very short exposures without the need to track them as they move across the sky. You can't do this with a camera taking one exposure because the atmosphere that you are imaging through is constantly moving and so will the object that you want to capture. Each video frame from a webcam can be stacked on a free program called registax, which allows you to discard the duff frames and make one image from placing all the good ones on top of each other to make one final image. Imaging galaxies and other deep sky objects will require at least a motorised mount because you will need to track accurately for long periods in order to capture enough light to build up a sharp image. At this level the tracking, the scopes, the filters, the processing programs all form part of collecting and manipulating digital data and as a consequence can prove very expensive. There are ways of constructing a motorised mechanisms that can get round some of this but you will need to post over on the Imaging Help and Advice Section for someone more experienced in this to help you.

It is possible with a camera on a tripod to take short 'widefield exposures' of the night sky without the need for digital kit and motorised mounts. If you have felt inspired to do some astrophotography from the recent BBC Stargazing Live program, I'm afraid they overcooked the imaging section by including images that are not possible from a tripod or from a basic observing set up.

Clear skies

James

• 5 months later...

Archived