NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie from Milton Keynes

Richard734

Hi all,

Great site, lots of billiant advice on here for a complete newbie.

Still trying to fathom out the whole eyepiece thing, but getting there slowly :)

Based in one of the outlying villages of Milton Keynes, so blessed with relativly dark skys. Doubly blessed with a very curious 10yr old who already knows as much as me and shows every sign of becoming an expert soon!

Richard

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Richard and welcome to the forum.

Eyepieces are probably the most difficult piece of kit to fathom out but there is a degree of subjective evaluation of the results they provide. For example, some people want the view of the stars to be held in sharp focus right to the edge of the view, whilst others might argue that although that would be nice, they aren't prepared to pay a disproportionate amount of money for such a small difference in overall performance. If you own a dobsonian type scope, this example might be important because if your stars aren't sharp to the edge, you are going to have to move the scope more frequently to keep an object in focus. 'Fast' scopes, namely those scopes with relatively shorter tubes in relation to their aperture, will need better quality eyepieces to help bring everything to focus. My best advice would be to go along to a public observation evening organized by your local astro society or observing group to look through some kit and make a note of the eyepieces used. It might be worth asking the owner of the scope how thy arrived at their choice.

Clear skies

James

Hi to to you both, welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't say buying the Tasco was a mistake, I and many others, did the same and I have never got rid of it, I don't use it, but I don't want to see it go.

What it has done is get you started on a great hobby, that you and you family can enjoy, and in the future you can if you wish upgrade and buy a bigger scope, you can. In the mean time enjoy the views, wait until you see Saturn, through it early hours at the moment. Download Stellarium if you haven't already, it's free and very useful for finding and identifying objects. Enjoy!

Stellarium

Thanks All,

Rufas, where in MK are you, and have you found the MKAS yet? went to a star party with them on the 14th - great fun and a good intro.

Hi Richard, I am in Wolverton so suffer from light pollution! I've not found the MKAS yet - only just started looking skyward in the last couple of weeks - may well come along to the next event!

Simon

Archived