NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

hello from south gloucestershire

whooshbang

Hello Everyone. My name is Dave, I'm 37 years old and its about time i bought another telescope :D

First introduced to the skies by my dad as a kid spotting shooting stars (as you do) I remember there was much publicity about Halley's Comet and the Giotto Space Probe they were using to make a close pass and my dad (bless him) worked at aerospace in Filton where they were manufacturing parts for the probe.

Naturally my wall was covered with posters of the probe and comet... to this day its a crying shame hardly anyone actually got to see it!

Unfortunately i didn't grow a passion for astronomy until much later when Comet Hale-Bopp arrived and dominated the sky for like a year or more. I was instantly transported back to the halley's days only this time i could see it with my own naked eye. Longing for a closer look i purchased a 4.5" refractor from a now "out the closet astronomer" work colleague and pursued a hobby in amateur astronomy which lasted for several years until: change of job + long unsociable hours = billy no hobbies.

Thank The Big Bang i now only work a weekend night shift and a day in week which brings about the opportunity to observe properly again :o

So with some hard earned cash saved i re-enter the world of Astronomy, this time with a Telescope! Just haven't decided which one yet :)

I also enjoy photography and hope to advance to some imaging of DSO's in the light years to come.

This forum (found whilst searching for starparty near me) seems like a friendly and informative place with lots of interesting topics so become a member, I must.

Dave

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum from a fellow Bristolian!

The question of which scope can be a bit of a baffling one given the choices out there. As I said to Maureen above, the key thing is to take your time and do some research on what's out there and most important thing - to actually look through some of this kit to see if it meets your expectations. There is a FREE program called STELLARIUM which you may have heard of. Its very useful to help you learn the sky and to find out where all the good stuff is up there, especially with the weather we've been having of late.

If astrophotography is your end goal, then some knowledge up front of what you might need might also be helpful before buying any kit. It doesn't always follow that scopes used for observer are necessarily best suited for imaging. As part of your research, there is a book called "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards (FLO £19.95) which is a very comprehensive guide to what you need to know, what kit you need to have and how to use it to get the kind of images that you're after. Like everything else, you get what you pay for in imaging and so this book might in fact save you money too.

I am a member of Bristol Astro Soc. and also observe with other groups so if you need more details, send me a 'Private Message' (top right of this page under your own tag) and I will try and help you out.

Wishing you clear skies and perhaps a chat soon!

James

wow... thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Thanks for the advice James. Funny you should mention the "Stellarium" app as i downloaded it a couple of months back and its great little program, I purchased "Starry Night" last week and haven't even installed it yet...

With regard to the Telescope research so far, I'm heavily tempted by the EQ6(NEQ6) pro synscan mount. It's generally has good reviews and there's loads of advice knocking about on servicing and upgrading. It's also within my budget and appears to be compatible with several OTA's (this is where i draw a blank)... so the Optical Tube Assembly is still undecided. I'd like to start at beginning again so would like an OTA for general observation of the planets, nebulae and Galaxies etc.. Later when accurate NCP alignment has been mastered(this will no doubt take me lots of practice) i'd like to piggyback the ole 400d and start experimenting with basic Astrophotography. Prime focus photography is but a distant dream and auto guiding is just on another level altogether for me. I have approximately £1500 to budget for the whole setup and with £900 potentially swallowed up on a mount(and it blumming better last me the rest of my life) I'm left with around £600 for the OTA. Luckily i still have a few Meade Possl eyepieces and 2x barlow knocking about that i use on a little Celestron 80mm refractor for terrestrial viewing mostly.

Tons of advice here though so on with research we go *grabs the coffee pot*

Thanks again all, nice to see a few local members too.

Archived