Hi - Very new to this!

shepsboss

Completely new, no equipment, little knowledge and have spent a couple of weeks researching. Budget started at about £400 but has since reached £1000+. It seems that nothing does everything and the name of the game is compromise. Hopefully the situation will improve tomorrow, I have discovered (via FLO) the Norman Lockyer Observatory, they have "An Introduction to Astronomy" day, 15-01-11. Currently Celestion C8-SGT - XLT is in the frame. We will see....

At least I have found my way around this site - I hope!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, and a very warm welcome to the forum :)

Don't worry, you will soon start zooming around the sky, it's amazing how quickly you pick up the basics. Three years back I didn't know a star from a planet :D

Any help you need, or questions you have, just shout, we'll be glad to help.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Shepsboss and welcome to the forum.

First off ,the Norman Lockyer Observatory is really good and I wish that facility was on my doors step. I believe that members of FLO (sponsor) do a little bit of observing there. I don't if you have yet had the opportunity to view any of the kit they have there - well lets put it this way, it wouldn't fit in the back of your car!

Yes your right on the scope research front, a compromise has to be made. If there was only one scope, we'd all want it, the price would rise and we then couldn't afford it :):D To be truthful most of us own more than one type of scope because they perform at their best in different ways - what you need to decide is what you want to look at most. This forum is a very good resource for understanding. If you need a more critical review on a specific scope then there is always the American "Cloudy Nights" forum that you can use as well. When you are looking at kit it is important to draft in as much advice as possible BUT is never a substitute for actually looking through it first in order to ensure that your expectations are met!

Clear skies

James

Archived