NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from Huddersfield

Tac

Hi,

I am just starting to get into Astronomy after being awe struck by the Universe as a whole. I was very interested in physics at school and have always had and interest in anything like that. I would eventually like to do some Astrophotography stuff but for now I have just got a pair of binoculars to start me off and see if I can become sufficiently interested to warrant spending serious money on gear.

The binoculars I have just (as in today) ordered are the Revelation 15x70's fro FLO. Seem like they get good reviews and can also be used for terrestrial stuff too. Bonus! It has already been worthwhile joining SGL for the 10% off limited deal that FLO were doing on these.

Looking forward to getting started. :icon_eek:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi welcome to SGL.

You will find everone very friendly and helpful here.

If you haven't already downloaded stellarium I would suggest you consider doing so. It's a free planatarium program that you can set for your location and see what is showing in the ssky at any time, you get it here Stellarium

Hi Tac and welcome to the forum.

As part of your long term aim to do astrophotography, can I recommend the you get hold of a copy of "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards (FLO £19.95). It is a comprehensive guide on what kit you need to get and how to use it in order to produce the level of image that you want. It also provides in my view, a very good oversight on what at first can seem a simple process of taking 'pictures' to what later can prove to be a very technical and somewhat more expensive process of data processing. In fact it is so useful, it might even save you money as well!

Clear skies for those binos and future observing.

James

Hi welcome to SGL.

You will find everone very friendly and helpful here.

If you haven't already downloaded stellarium I would suggest you consider doing so. It's a free planatarium program that you can set for your location and see what is showing in the ssky at any time, you get it here Stellarium

Thanks. This does seems to be the case already.

I have downloaded as suggested and been playing all night. It's great!

Hi Tac and welcome to the forum.

As part of your long term aim to do astrophotography, can I recommend the you get hold of a copy of "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards (FLO £19.95). It is a comprehensive guide on what kit you need to get and how to use it in order to produce the level of image that you want. It also provides in my view, a very good oversight on what at first can seem a simple process of taking 'pictures' to what later can prove to be a very technical and somewhat more expensive process of data processing. In fact it is so useful, it might even save you money as well!

Clear skies for those binos and future observing.

James

Thanks for the welcome and reference to the book. I had been looking at this on the FLO site. I WILL be buying it at some point.

Seconded about Stellarium - great piece of software, although somewhat disappointed with the iPad version, seems slower and jerkier (but also free to download) - Pocket Universe is my app of choice on the iPad.

Welcome - you`ll enjoy the bins, I got a pair of 15x70s for xmas and whenever we get a cleare night I have a great time with them - also brilliant for terrestrial viewing during the day.

Seconded about Stellarium - great piece of software, although somewhat disappointed with the iPad version, seems slower and jerkier (but also free to download) - Pocket Universe is my app of choice on the iPad.

Welcome - you`ll enjoy the bins, I got a pair of 15x70s for xmas and whenever we get a cleare night I have a great time with them - also brilliant for terrestrial viewing during the day.

I use Pocket Universe on the iPhone. It is superb and I love the point and show feature. Stellarium just has so much more detail and number of stars.

I am really looking forward to getting the bins. They should be here today, just in time for the weekend. :icon_eek:

Archived