Hi from a newbie

Cellarman

After having a minor interest in the heavens for many years, I am developing the urge to get more involved. My wife is keen to buy a decent scope and we're looking at a Dobsonian.

I'm a keen photographer, so will be following the astrophotography threads to pick up tips. My wife and I went to Cornwall in 1999 and had perfect views of the total eclipse, which I photographed with the limited lenses that I had taken with me and I photographed the transit of Venus in 2004 using my Kowa spotting scope with a solar filter on the front end.

I look forward to some lively discussions here and hope to gain some deeper insight into this hobby.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Cellarman and welcome to SGL :)

For astro photography you need to look for something on an equatorial mount. Dobsons are alt/az based and won't be appropriate. Feel free to ask any questions in the Beginners Help section and do enjoy the forum :evil6:

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If astrophotography is your end goal, then may I suggest you get hold of a copy of Steve Richard's "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which outlines all that you need to know to produce the level of imaging that you want to get. It is comprehensive but also concise and might even save you money!

Clear skies

James

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If astrophotography is your end goal, then may I suggest you get hold of a copy of Steve Richard's "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which outlines all that you need to know to produce the level of imaging that you want to get. It is comprehensive but also concise and might even save you money!

Clear skies

James

Thanks for that, I'll get a copy.

Archived