Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1St Narrowband IC 410

Coco

I stated out with good intentions but by the time I had 3 hours worth of data I had read somewhere that these two targets arent well suited to Ha,OIII & SII :grin: ... well tough I thought Ive spent 6 nights trying to add data.. :D

Ive had a play about and am sure Ive done it wrong but I like the image.. :)

Critique welcome I dont mind :eek:

Ha mapped to green,

SII mapped to red, and

OIII mapped to blue.

Lum composed of Ha image and 20% OIII

UPDATE: The image was taken using an ATIK 413L+ through an EOS fit Sigma 100-300 f/4 @f/4

My Lumicon OIII filter shows quite distracting halos around bright stars (its the only none Astronomik filter in the set) so I disguised the worst offenders

with Noel Carboni's 'Star Spikes pro' PS action and spikes the others none offenders to balance the image ... artistic license? :)

original.jpg

I'm not sure there is a proper colour scheme for objects like this, especially Narrowband filtering. This outcome floats my boat Guy, It looks superb. Is this the MN190, I ask because of the Star spikes.:)

Ron.

Thanks chaps.. positive stuff and encouraging to play with data.. :)

UPDATE: The image was taken using an ATIK 413L+ through an EOS fit Sigma 100-300 f/4 @f/4

My Lumicon OIII filter shows quite distracting halos around bright stars (its the only none Astronomik filter in the set) so I disguised the worst offenders

with Noel Carboni's 'Star Spikes pro' PS action and spikes the others none offenders to balance the image ... artistic license? :evil6:

Hiya Guy, meant to comment on this the other day so apologise for the late reply!

Love the image mate, I think the colour scheme is brilliant and a massive field of view! Everytime I see a new image I want to have a go myself...but I don't think I've got enough years left in me :icon_eek:

Who doesn't love pink tadpoles :D

Matt.

You haven't done it wrong Guy, just different :icon_eek: Can't make my mind up on the colours, there is perhaps a little separation of the emissions missing, but the FOV is fabulous.

I'd be keen to see a pic of how you got the rig together, as I would like to have a go at using one of my CCD's with a camera lens at some point. Being able to use filters would present many more opportunities too.

Interesting that you used a Lum layer with the narrowband images. I sometimes do similar by combining all the NB data into a single file and then using a low opacity overlay, sometimes works better than others.

Cheers

Tim

If that's the results you're getting, then long may you contiunue to 'do it wrong' Guy :icon_eek:

As Peter says, you've not used unconventional colour mapping at all....you used the Hubble pallette, and to great effect.

Cheers

Rob

Wonderful composition Guy. How were you fitting the filters between the lens and camera?

You've done the opposite of what most people do with there first narrow band HST. The norm is to get carried away with all the lovely Ha detail and then stint on the OIII and SII (esp SII) subs since they don't look as good. When processing the images are left with the Ha too dominant and look very green. You seem to have got rid of the green all together!! This looks more like R OIII G SII and B Ha! You've got some lovely star colour which is always very tricky with narrowband.

Personally I would like to see a bit more green in the mix but looks wonderful as is. Bob Franke has a good tutorial here Creating Hubble Palette Color Mapped Images

Wonderful composition Guy. How were you fitting the filters between the lens and camera?

You've done the opposite of what most people do with there first narrow band HST. The norm is to get carried away with all the lovely Ha detail and then stint on the OIII and SII (esp SII) subs since they don't look as good. When processing the images are left with the Ha too dominant and look very green. You seem to have got rid of the green all together!! This looks more like R OIII G SII and B Ha! You've got some lovely star colour which is always very tricky with narrowband.

Personally I would like to see a bit more green in the mix but looks wonderful as is. Bob Franke has a good tutorial here Creating Hubble Palette Color Mapped Images

Thanks Martin...

Here is my widefield kit

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/118439-my-wide-field-kit.html

and here is how I made it..

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/105933-ef-atik-filter-wheel-conversion-part1.html

Nice job! That answers some questions. I am planning some imaging with my new SX M26 which has the same spacing as Steve's M25. I have the same problem as Steve which means I am having to buy T2 filters to get round the problem (expensive :))

Archived