• 8"
    • 9"
    • 10"
    • 11"
    • 12" or more

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having a look at the poll results so far, i notice that the even numbers are ahead, 6,8,10,12 is there any paticular reason these are more popular compared to the odd 3,5,7,9 sized scopes? is it just most manufacturers sell these sizes or is there a physics reason???

Sorry but when im learning i seem to ask the most obvious of questions!

more interesting for me is that the poll suggests people who buy an 8" then move to a 12" rather than a 10"?

Not sure you can make that assumption from the poll :(

I went backwards. A 10'' newt was too much for me. Much happier handling an 8'' cassegrain.

If I had the space I would go to 16" but for me it's just not possible, transportation issues and weight would be a killer. Last year I was offed a Lightbridge 16" at a good price and was almost about to part with the cash, after all it could be taken to bits so how hard couldit be to transport.

Then I stopped to ask how heavy the primary mirror assembly is .....62lbs was the answer :(

The thought of lugging something that weight and fragility up eight flights of stairs made it a complete no-no :)

Shame really.

Seems odd that the number of 5" scopes is so small. Seems to be a lot people here that saythey have the Skymax 127 Mak.

Might be the metric brigade who dont know what it is in inches...

Wonder what the response would be if the questions were in mm....

I would be stuck LOL:D

Seems odd that the number of 5" scopes is so small. Seems to be a lot people here that saythey have the Skymax 127 Mak.

I've got a 127mak as a grab'n'go ,but also have a 10'' dob.I think there are a few with similar pairings

Interesting so far, i expected 8" to have a decent lead, but i'm surprised by the low numbers for 4", 5" and 6". Where are all the refractors?

If you are asking for our "primary visual scope", then it may well be the one with more aperture.

There was a poll created sometime back that was multi choice; as some of us have more than one telescope.

I'd like to vite thrice

4.5" tal 1M

5.5" tank sight.. rebuilt to an ultra-light piggy back scope.

and the big boy, 12"

Oh and just for fun, the 12" weighing in at ~60kg scope + mount is sitting on the Tal 1M pedestal :(..

All Newts.

Derek

I voted for my 16" LightBridge because it's the one i use the most. If it wasn't on wheels and so easy to use though, i'd have voted for the 120ST.

Melanie, you made a wise choice in passing up the 16LB.. It's a wonderful scope, but quite a beast (unless your observing companion is the Incredible Hulk:p).

Archived