• 8"
    • 9"
    • 10"
    • 11"
    • 12" or more

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice poll, was there ever a poll going > 12" ??

I'd be interested in the stats of 15", 18", 20", 24", 30". From what I can tell, Big Dobs (>12") are much less talked about in the UK vs. the states.

There's one primary reason for that, our changable climate

I stopped getting all my kit together, going out into the new forest and setting up, spending an hour or so getting everything spot on only to have the clouds roll in. That coupled with at least some light pollution in all areas over here counts against making it to a field regularly unless you are very keen.

Once I made the switch to concreted in scope in the garden my viewing time shot up. I'm an astro imager not a visual observer, again that may have more to do with our skys and climate.

If I were state side I might just look at a big dob, guarenteed weather and the ability to find zero light pollution for a one hour drive on good roads each way makes the effort worthwhile.

Derek

Archived