NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Trapezium closeup

johnh

SPX350 F16.3 5700mm fl, EQ6, Mintron12V6, Astrodon filters. HaRGB.

A rare clear night and a full moon with a breeze but had a go any way after a quick polar align fine tune. Picked a bright target which came out not too bad I just needed a still night, collimation was a bit off but just testing PA.

Seems to be monsoon season in Brisbane but a clear night and Orion climbed high - M42 over 65 degrees upside down with Sirius in tow, 16deg C temp at night felt freezing as its usually 25deg C.

RGB-500 x 1.25sec exposures.

Ha-460 x 2.56sec exposures.

Thanks, John.

post-15219-133877512478_thumb.jpg

post-15219-133877512485_thumb.jpg

I believe the 2nd photo was included for reference. If you look around the middle of this page The prettiest dust bunny around | Astro Bob

you will see what seems to me to be an idtentical Hubble photo judging from the diffraction spikes.

Jason

Yes. John does credit the HST comparison image on the picture itself. He's got pretty close considering the budget difference!

Olly

Crikey John, you have even come close to separating C & F! I tried this a couple of weeks back, but the 10 sec subs I used were waaay too long, E&F are just lumps on C & A. Can't believe you got them that clear AND capture up to the H's.

Excellent!

Out of interest, which filter, if any, were the stars most clearly defined in?

Cheers

Tim

Thanks guys, its just a pity it was such a poor night for seeing with Jupiter unimagable and a breeze and collimation a bit off, blue filter was very poor so will definitely give it another go and may try S2 filter as Mintron has big very sensitive pixels and at long fl still works well with bright objects especially small pn.

For focal extension I used the Celestron Ultima with FW plus a 25mm extension making 85mm from sensor to nosepiece shoulder giving about 3.6x power F16.3 or 5700mm fl - pretty good value for a 2x Barlow. I cannot push it any further.

Thanks Mick for Trap star chart, knew there was one around somewhere, put together a comparison with definitive Hubble and Red filter image shows H2 star at 15.5mag, the Ha5nm filter image shows a companion to F star lost in the Red filter image. Hubble image is fascinating showing tadpole stars that have formed around Trapezium.

Ten year drought in Australia has come to an end with monsoon weather for next month so may not get a chance so heres hoping.

Thanks, John.

post-15219-133877512597_thumb.jpg

post-15219-133877512601_thumb.jpg

post-15219-133877512606_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived