Hi!

AndyMcCall

Hello Folks!

I've been looking around for an astronomy forum to join after deciding to turn my interest in listening to astronomy podcasts, watching TV programs about planets and the universe into actually looking at the sky rather than the TV!

I have to admit, I am probably going to have adjust to seeing planets and galaxies through scopes and binoculars in real life as I have seen so many TV programs with CGI and special effects about the universe and planets that I am probably slightly

I didn't want to invest too much at first so after reading around I bought the Celestron 15x70 Skymaster binoculars from First Light Optics, and the Philips Mini Stargazer 3-in-1 binocular astronomy set (guide book, map & planisphere) from Scopes'n'Skies. If I like what I see I'll get myself a Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT next year :)

The first things I want to do is observe the planets in our solar system, then I'm open to suggestions on what else I can look at with the binoculars.

I'm also into photography, and have a Canon 40D and work in IT so have plenty of computer experience, hopefully I can hook all these interests together. I like the idea of astrophotography so I can record what I've seen to look back at over the years, but from what I have read its best to just observe for now.

So anyway, "Hi!" :D

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Andy and welcome to SGL :)

Yes the Celestron 15x70's are great. Jupiter you can see it's moons easilly with them. Try also M42, Beehive Cluster, Pliedes, M13, Andromeda, etc. That should be enough to get you going for now :D

Also - download Stellarium - it's free and will show positions of everything from your location.

Hello Andy, Binoculars are always a good starting tool for beginners.

There is much to see, and they will teach you a lot, and you will be better prepared when you advance to a telescope.

You will enjoy SGL, and there is a mine of information you can tap into here. Just ask questions when you need to. :)

Ron.

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum. Binos are a great start as they will genuinely form part of your future astro kit. Nothing worst than being seduced into buying gear only to sell it on later for more advanced stuff- binos are always a good buy. As already mentioned above, Stellarium is such a useful tool as you can advance the image you see by forwarding the clock so you'll get to know when stuff is coming up and where (especially if you've got trees in your garden that means you can only view in one direction!)

Clear skies for your observing

James

Hi and welcome this is a great forum your going to love it. Got here a few months ago and went from wanting to get a good telescope and do some astrophotography with in a few months and thanks to the wonderful people on this forum I was up and running got this lovely image of the orion nebula last week just to tempt you into taking the plunge..

0n34.JPG

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Binos are a good start for obs... if your like me and not to fussed about obs then binos are great... I would have gone for something less powerful... 7x50 but if you have a tripod and bino mount then these are perfect..

if your into Photoshop and have good skills than start imaging... GET AN 'ASTROTRAC! '

You will not regret it... you'll be imaging by the weekend... :)

Do a search in google for ''astrotrac'' ive posted a few on here... First Light optics will help you out..

Archived