Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ISS Solar Transit

brianb

The sky cleared this afternoon and I managed to catch the ISS in transit across the Sun! (Predicted by Calsky)

ISSTransit-1.jpg

2010 Nov 10, 1450 UT. Solarscope 60, prime focus, DMK41. Single raw frame.

Sorry but the quality is rather poor, the sun's low altitude (only 10 degrees) didn't help, and neither did the jet stream which was just starting to spread cirrostratus from the next weather system across the sky.

I've uploaded a 60 frame GIF animation of this event (here) but be warned that it's a 12 megabyte download - it will probably take a while to arrive.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am always surprised how quickly the ISS transits the Sun.

Less than half a second I believe.

The animation runs at about 1/4 "live" speed - it was shot at 15 fps and plays back at 4 fps. This particular transit was a distant one and lasted just over 3 seconds at my location.

Thanks guys ... I've tried a few times to get an ISS transit of sun or moon, this is the first time that the weather's cooperated (and that cooperation was unexpected too, with the major storm arriving hot on its heels). This transit was not a favourable one - low and distant - but at least it shows what is possible.

If you feel the need to apologize, well . . . considered the apology accepted; but there is absolutely no reason to apologize for that shot.

Do my eyes deceive me or can I see the solar panels?

Amazingly beautiful work, Brian!

Thank you for sharing it.

Archived