Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Iris Nebula

ollypenrice

While faffing around organizing mosaics on the camera lens setup this one just took itself with the TEC-Tak mount combination and OSC camera. (Mount now working really sweetly thank heavens. Thanks to all who kept me sane during 'the troubles.')

31 x 10 mins plus 12 x 5 mins, Atik 4000 OSC.

Olly

1078539303_vLdWC-X2.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers all. The mount seems top dog now with no rotation after 5 hours. The stack was done in Astro Art which does not rotate so the 2 minute polar align really does work chez Takahashi. Guiding error was 0.04 pixel all night on both axes.

But John is right, not enough dust so I will hit it with 15 min subs tonight to see what gives. Better do some darks!

Orion in Ha is at half way so that is rattling along as well.

Olly

Very nice Olly, very nice detail to the centre without losing the core.

The outer dust is just starting to show some form isn't it, some extra long subs will add that detail and the lovely dirty colour should come through too.

Do you happen to know, is the main reflection nebula there comprised of the same type of dust that is showing as dark nebulae in the foreground, but just extra illuminated by the bright star in the centre? Or in other words, is the main nebula related to the star in any way, or is the dust just incidentally positioned, as with M45????

Cheers

Tim

Very nice Olly, very nice detail to the centre without losing the core.

The outer dust is just starting to show some form isn't it, some extra long subs will add that detail and the lovely dirty colour should come through too.

Do you happen to know, is the main reflection nebula there comprised of the same type of dust that is showing as dark nebulae in the foreground, but just extra illuminated by the bright star in the centre? Or in other words, is the main nebula related to the star in any way, or is the dust just incidentally positioned, as with M45????

Cheers

Tim[/quote

We were just pondering that very question today, Tim. My guess is that it will be more or less the same dust that is blue and brown depending on illumination but in the case of the Iris I would be surprised if it were the same situation as with M45. However, I don't know for sure.

Olly

Never heard of it before.

It really is quite lovely.

Why the "Iris"?.............looks more like a box to me.

Hi Paul, I guess the blue colour and petal-like shape. I know you are a visual man; this one is odd in that all you really see is the dark dust shutting down the star count. The object really looks just stellar (if I was in the right place!!)

Olly

Archived