Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

hi from deep dark norfolk

bobflunkit

Hi to you all from deep dark norfolk.

Recently purchased a set of 15x70 binos after reading on this forum that it's the best way to get hooked on spending more money that i can afford on what i would like to be a new hobby.

And it's worked!

I'm now comtemplating my next move. Skywatcher 200P with a eq5 mount seems to be the favoured route. i'd rather spend a little less but i realise it makes sense to spend that little bit more to start with and with this set up there is always a little bit of upgrade possible.(have i got upgraditus already?.... oh here we go again:eek:, home cinema last time)

Keeping an eye on auction sites as you're reading this(or would you advise against this?)

I'll shut up, i'm rambling.

Hi again

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. Your upgrade choice is a very popular route and is a very good combination of scope and mount. As for the auction sites, I don't think there is any difference between astro and any other gear.

There are dedicated astro buy and sell sites U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell for example. There is also a buy and sell section on this site also, but new members need to get 50 posts before they can use it.

Steve

Hi Bob and welcome to SGL :)

The Kelling equinox star parties are amongst the largest in the country (if not the largest). You also have Loughton Astro Society out your way - a good local society to join for more regular observing.

Hope that helps :mad:

Thanx to all for the warm welcome and the info.

Just a quick query is seeing generally better in the morning or evening? As a postman i'm up early and seeing just seems better in the morning than the evening. If so then i'll have to learn to get up even earlier than normal.

Hi Bob, welcome to the Lounge.

I suppose it really depends on the weather, amount of humidity, temperature, wind....it's the combinations really. If you have a bit of a breeze the atmosphere is moving, this is visible as shimmering or twinkling, whereas humidity and water vapour affect how transparent the sky is, or not, if it's cloud.

If you haven't already got it, download Stellarium, it's a free and a very useful programme.

Stellarium

Clear skies.

Hi Bob,

You can get some great deals used, but personally I wouldn't buy used astro gear sight unseen. (was stung buying a used eyepiece once...) I always try and buy new astro gear.

Mind you, there are some great deals out there, and I'm probably missing out! :)

Good luck with your search and let us know how you get on.

Hi Bob, and nice you have joined the SGL forum.

Great people here, and much help if and when you need it.

I wish I lived as near to Kelling as you :), it would save me from a very long journey, although it is always worth the trip.

Ron.:mad:

HI from me too :) The 200 is a good bit of gear and it dopes have almost endless upgrade possibilities.

If you use ebay just be wary and keep a firm grip on your wallet - half the clowns on there end up bidding stuff to within a hair (and sometimes over) its new price.

Archived