Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Philips SPC880NC is now.......

russ

it possible to use the spc880 with windows 7 by using a a modified driver file and selecting it manually. I did mine a while ago but can provide the file to anyone who wants it

can I have the driver please with instructions i mailed you my address

Mick

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got some clear sky's last night and gave the cam a airing... my issue seems to be that with the 2" reducer inline the focal length is to short for the CCD, and i could not get a good focus.. i removed the reducer and placed the cam in the focuser and with it all the way in worked a treat.. shame i could not get a shot of jupiter as it was to low in the sky for me at that point in time...... now to sort out something to hold it in the focuser securely....

Ok an update, the new pre-flashed SPC 900 came today and it seems to be working, I did all the WcRmac stuff with no problem (just to make sure), installed the SPC 900 drivers on my laptop, plugged the cam in and pc found and installed it right away.

Now I just need to know how to tweak stuff. The cam appears in the 'Sound, Video and games' tab of the device manager and i've clicked on its properties but cant find anything where I can tweak the cam settings.

Is there another program I need to do this?

(the cam does work, as I can use it on the crappy free cam software I got with the laptop)

Edited by Manning

If you installed the original Philip drivers, you should have a new tray icon that looks like the camera itself. Click on it for the settings dialog. And/or use capture software that has the settings built in; like SharpCap.

I have just bought the adapter, spc800, filter and the 3 quid flashing done for me.

To clarify, I then need to install the latest driver and download some running software and stacking software and I am good to go?

Thanks for this biblical thread btw.

Adam

Yes, you need to download the SPC900NC driver for your OS from the Philips website and install it.

As for software, you can use SharpCap for the video capture (written by a SGL forum member and free). For stacking use Registax (also free). That's all you need to get started.

Cheers Colin! All worked a treat! The SPC 880 is now recognised as a SPC900! I take it there is no need to flash it now or do I still need to do that?

I don't know if you can mod via WcRmac without the webcam actually having the SPC900nc firmware on board, so if you need to use RAW or RAW Optimised you may still need to flash the firmware.

I have just bought the spc880 will this not work on vista then? I have tried but to no avail do i need xp?

Vista is another kettle of fish altogether, I'm sure the camera will work but Vista is weird about letting you install/run things. What have you tried so far?

I don't think it does unlock anything you can't already do through software i.e. exposure control, sensitivity adjustment. I've not flashed mine but have not yet had a proper chance to use it.

Yes is does allow you to do things that are not available from the installed software. You use WcRmac to set up RAW or Optimised RAW.

http://www.astrosurf.com/astrobond/ebrawe.htm

I can't see this answered, but is there any point in flashing them if you're just using XP anyway? Is it more for compatibility or does it unlock anything?

It all depends on what YOU want to do.

Flashing to the 900nc firmware allows the cam to be used with different drivers for different OS and also allows the setting of firmware mods.

In the 5th post where the install instructions are you can read from the attached links to what the camera does and can do it modified. You will finally end up with a page that discusses the firmware mods for RAW and Optimised RAW among others.

Just a quick note to say that I ordered my 880, flashed, from Morgans on Sunday and it arrived yesterday. 8-)

Also a note to say cheers re all the advise on this thread... is it a record?