Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Philips SPC880NC is now.......

russ

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously thinking about getting one of these. They seem to be highly recommended by a lot of people on here.

Get 2, so you'll have one spare when the other eventually breaks and at £9.99 from Morgans it's a wise move as you'll be lucky to find them in a years time maybe.

If you have XP then you can flash else order the flashing from Morgans at the same time or if you do not want the hassle of flashing then again just get Morgans to do it for you.

Morgans also do the Nosepiece which you will need and if you want to image Jupiter then you will need the IR/UV filter cut which again Morgans do.

You can either get both cams fitted out with nosepieces and filters or save a few quid and just get 2 cam with 1 set only of nosepiece and filter.

Then if you have anyother OS apart from XP goto the philips Support site and download the drivers for your OS, again links have been posted many times in this thread so just go back a few pages or use the "Search This Thread" for drivers

HTH, they are good cams and very very god value for money.

For Firmware modding read the link I have posted above in a few posts back, this gives slightly more detail using Optimised Color (NON RAW). See the link for more details.

flashed mine and set to RAW B/W, but that seemed to limit me to really low resolutions. 320x240 anything higher and the image was horrendous. real flickery and grainy.

I was using sharpcap and also tried K3CCD. both were the same.

Does anyone know if that's software related or simply due to the low power netbook I'm using them on?

Well ordered my webcam over a week ago but there was a problem and it came up on the website as having failed. So I tried again and got the same message then when I checked my bank account the money has been taken once. Having phoned various times to Morgans they insist that they haven't taken the money and that it's the bank's fault...and guess what the bank says that Morgan's have taken the money.......aaaaaarrrrrgghhh

At my wits end, don't know what to do and all I want is my damn webcam.

:):angryfire::)

Well ordered my webcam over a week ago but there was a problem and it came up on the website as having failed. So I tried again and got the same message then when I checked my bank account the money has been taken once. Having phoned various times to Morgans they insist that they haven't taken the money and that it's the bank's fault...and guess what the bank says that Morgan's have taken the money.......aaaaaarrrrrgghhh

Ask the bank for the transaction ID. Then tell Morgans to confirm by email/writing that they do not have your money, then you can take these details to Visa/Mastercard and raise a dispute and you will get a refund.

When purchasing off the internet depending on your bank/ account type some times money goes in to a holding/transferring bank between yours and the shop. It's kind of like the 3 day wait for a cheque to clear. Your bank will see it as Morgans have the money but Morgans may not have it yet. If you get the transaction ID of your bank you can confirm to Morgans that the money is being processed, but it is more than likely the money is now in their account and your order is being processed.

When purchasing off the internet depending on your bank/ account type some times money goes in to a holding/transferring bank between yours and the shop. It's kind of like the 3 day wait for a cheque to clear. Your bank will see it as Morgans have the money but Morgans may not have it yet. If you get the transaction ID of your bank you can confirm to Morgans that the money is being processed, but it is more than likely the money is now in their account and your order is being processed.

Yeah this is basically what Morgans have been telling me but I ordered this on the 24th of January so surely this should be sorted by now. I might try what you said with the transaction number but Morgans can find the two times that I tried but they say that no money has been taken.

so to get the different raw modes the cam must be flashed to 990?

or can it remain as 880 and have the raw flashes?

i ask as i will always use xp

If you are using XP then why not flash with the SPC900 firmware anyway?

Anyway, I have not tried doing RAW on an unflashed SPC880 but you could always give it ago, just run WcRmac and 1st see if an unflashed SPC880 is recognised (run sharpcap etc first), if so do a firmware backup first then try the RAW mod. If it works then OK if not then take the RAW mod off via WcRmac and then reflash with your backup copy.

lol..... what an epic !!!!!!

It's taken me about 2.5 hours on & off to go through all 23 pages of this thread.... but worth it.... thnx everyone.... I've now ordered a pre-flashed camera & IR/UR filter from Morgan's & the nosepiece from Wayne

I think I've got the instructions pages bookmarked...... so tired now, can hardly keep my eyes open.....

Will have to wait now until the come & hopefully I'll be able to get some imagery off my Skywatcher Exploer 130P at last....... (tried a Cannon DSLR before but not enough back focus [or whatever] on my scope).

Edited by Coops2000
oooh... PS: I've got Sharpcap installed ready to go as well... :-)

Are these the same ones as they seam a bit on the cheap side ( but then I know nothing, but give me time !!!)

found this on ebay Philips SPC900NC webcam on eBay (end time 04-Mar-11 21:40:42 GMT)

I know it states spnc900nc is there a difference ?

be gentle very noob :)

If you read the auction description you will see that it is actually the SPC880NC webcam. You still need the IR/UV Filter and Nosepiece.

Edited by SniffTheGlove

Just wanted to thank Russ and everyone else for the advice on here.

Got an SPC880NC through from Morgan's today (not blindingly fast delivery but took less than a week) and have flashed it so that it now thinks it is a 900.

I must confess that I am not entirely sure WHY I have done this, but it seems the thing to do and that this firmware is for some reason better for astro webcaming. I'm sure I'll find out one day!

Looking forward to playing with it if we ever get...

...Clear Skies.

Im on Windows Virtual PC XP

I added the bin file to 8116 folder but when i choose dc interface, nothing popped up.

on macro it says CAMERA NOT CONNECTED but its plugged into usb. I did " add hardware " pointed at 880 inf file nothing working. Also nothing popped up sayin found new hardware but when i plug the camera in the light pops up on camera.

Dunno why it's doinfg this any ideas?

I added the bin file to 8116 folder but when i choose dc interface, nothing popped up.

on macro it says CAMERA NOT CONNECTED but its plugged into usb. I did " add hardware " pointed at 880 inf file nothing working. Also nothing popped up sayin found new hardware but when i plug the camera in the light pops up on camera.

Start a webcam application like Sharpcap, then get the picture running then run WcRmac to do the flashing and other macro's

If the camera is not showing when you choose DS interface it's not installed under windows correctly - if it's installed you should be able to see it under device manager (control panel - system - hardware - device manager - imaging devices) as a Philips PCVC750K Camera (before firmware is applied)

When you are installing the camera under XP and have chosen to specify the driver then pointed it to the spc880nc.inf file it should ask for a confirmation on installing the driver as it's not digitally signed - did you get this?