Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Philips SPC880NC is now.......

russ

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Been a while since I read through all tha pages & can't remember which one I've seen an offer from someone helping out with the soldering mod to the camera....... is that offer still on the table as I'm quite cack-handed at delicate stuff like that....

PM me if still on........

Hello I'm having a thick moment it seams !!!

got the cam in the post I have an XP machine and got the instructions from the first page all well so far, but it says google the 900NC.bin file can someone point me in the right directioon as I have not been ablr to find it and I want to play with my new cam :rolleyes: and its clear out side so far as well :eek:

cheers in advance

Edited by jackruss

Thank you airprox :rolleyes: I think i was getting mixed up because i had looked at that web page before lol the philips cam from morgan are being recognised as a pcvc740k but mine is now saying it is a 900NC :eek: I gave up for a while and went out side, but the temp has dropped and the clouds have come in so came back in side and converted the web cam, so that should have put a stop to any clear skies for a while now even thou the met states its going to be clear at the weekend ! so you can all blame me :)

Edited by jackruss

Hi Folks,

Help!!!!

I finally got what i hope is the right gear together, including the webcam pre-flashed by Morgans. Trying to run it on a Windows 7 Dell netbook got specifically for some astro stuff. So how do you turn the damm thing on? I installed a win7 driver (but all the readme files say it is an XP driver? Is this right?) The PC 'devices' control panel idenfifies it as an SPC900 and also confirms cirrect driver installed and device workign correctly but it remains resolutely inactive except for its white LED light. Drivers seem to be there OK but no action...and it isnt recognised by Sharpcap either, just native webcam.

Ho hum. Sure it must be simple...what's the fix please?

Did you get the SPC900 driver for Win7 from the Philips website?

I've had a bit of an issue on my main machine running Win7 x64. It all looked installed fine but Skype did not see a camera. I had to uninstall the driver (through the Start menu entry) and install it again. Then it worked.

Did you get the SPC900 driver for Win7 from the Philips website?

I've had a bit of an issue on my main machine running Win7 x64. It all looked installed fine but Skype did not see a camera. I had to uninstall the driver (through the Start menu entry) and install it again. Then it worked.

Yes thats right, should I try elsewhere?

I did one re-install already. Perhaps i should try again?

I just checked, it is indeed 64 bit

thanx

No, the Philips driver is the correct one as long as it is the Win7/Vista variety... ;-)

Just making sure you didn't use any other driver...

Maybe try again. When I got it working I uninstalled the driver with the webcam plugged in, then installed again (webcam still plugged in), rebooted and it worked. Not sure if it's only coincidence but before I didn't have the cam plugged in during the procedure and it didn't work. Worth a try...

No, the Philips driver is the correct one as long as it is the Win7/Vista variety... ;-)

Just making sure you didn't use any other driver...

Maybe try again. When I got it working I uninstalled the driver with the webcam plugged in, then installed again (webcam still plugged in), rebooted and it worked. Not sure if it's only coincidence but before I didn't have the cam plugged in during the procedure and it didn't work. Worth a try...

No joy I'm afraid,it STILL isn't talking to the pc despite all drivers seemingly installed. Jusu tried an old no-brand cam (used for work video conf) and it picked it up fine and captured a video of my front room in sharpcap. I really have no idea why the philips wont work.

• 4 weeks later...

Serious noob question!

When this camera is fitted in the eyepiece holder, how does it magnify as there is no eyepiece.

What is the magnification on a 127 skymax

I dont even know how to explain :D

I'm confused

Edit: Isnt a telescope useless without an eyepiece.....is what i'm trying to say

Edited by Chestercopperpot

No, it isn't useless! The primary mirror or the objective lens does the hard work of bringing light to a focus. That is a small image of an object. If you put the webcam sensor right on that point, you will be using the main mirror or lens as the webcam's lens and get an image. How big it is depends on the focal length of the telescope and the pixel pitch of your sensor by simple triangle geometry.

The eyepiece is nothing but a magnifying lens for viewing that "real" image formed inside the telescope.

Serious noob question!

When this camera is fitted in the eyepiece holder, how does it magnify as there is no eyepiece.

When using a webcam, the telescope acts like a telephoto lens does on any camera, so doesn't need an eyepiece.

The magnification is a function of the focal length of the telescope. The longer the focal length, the bigger the image. My 10" Newtonian has a focal length of 1200mm (so it's effectively a 1200mm telephoto lens), whereas your Skymax 127 has a focal length of 1500mm so will produce a bigger (if dimmer) image.

Edited by lukebl