Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Flextube GOTO Dobsonians

Finally, the Skywatcher Flextube GOTO Dobsonians have arrived :)

Skywatcher's patented dual-encoder design allows you to manually move the telescope to anywhere you wish, with no need for realignment. Slewing to an object on the opposite side of the night sky is quick and easy. Simply push the tube close to the object and let the computer do the rest of the work.

Very impressive!

For specifications and an up-to-date price please click on the links:

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P FlexTube GOTO

Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX FlexTube GOTO

Skywatcher Skyliner 300P FlexTube GOTO

skywatcher_skyliner_300p_flextube_goto.jpg

Steve :D

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are they still going to do the 14"?

We are not allowed to discuss 14" or 16" versions, which is intensely frustrating! Let's just say we have space reserved for them ... should they happen to arrive later this year :)

Now, if you EQMOD and pulseguide that and some clever so & so comes up with a wedge of sorts that works...man that would be some serious imaging bang for the buck!

Since I have the 12" version for the past 3 months, let me advise you of the following :

You need to collapse the tube by about 2" if you want to reach focus on an Canon DSLR witch the stock focuser.

Apologies in advance for not being around to answer questions til Monday, we are just about to leave for the South West Astronomy Fair. Hope to see you there.

Sadly we will not have one of these new Dobsonians at the Fair. We tried, really we did. We should however have a 12" model in use at the Salisbury Star Party.

Prices are lower than the Orion GOTO dobs UK dealer prices so the SkyWatchers should do OK.

Orion XT8g GoTo Dobsonian: £849 + £10 shipping & insurance

Orion XT10g GoTo Dobsonian: £1099 + £10 shipping & insurance

Orion XT12g GoTo Dobsonian: £1599 + £10 shipping & insurance

John

We are not allowed to discuss 14" or 16" versions, which is intensely frustrating! Let's just say we have space reserved for them ... should they happen to arrive later this year :)

Blimey o' Riley...:D how much space will the 16" take up? My recently acquired 12" SW Dob takes up considerable floorspace!!

I'll try very, very, hard to ignore the 16" when it comes out. I told the other half the 12" was as big as I would go...

Cheaper than the Orions, but prices are still higher than I expected though.

The 10 inch Goto comes in at £350 higher than the 10 inch Auto.

Why wouldnt you go for the Auto and then add a synscan handset for around £100, saving yourself £250? ...just asking because I'm really interested in these, but...if there's a cheaper alternative....

Cheaper than the Orions, but prices are still higher than I expected though.

The 10 inch Goto comes in at £350 higher than the 10 inch Auto.

Why wouldnt you go for the Auto and then add a synscan handset for around £100, saving yourself £250? ...just asking because I'm really interested in these, but...if there's a cheaper alternative....

The motor drive is different as per the Sky-Watcher rep.

Blimey o' Riley...:D how much space will the 16" take up? My recently acquired 12" SW Dob takes up considerable floorspace!!

QUOTE]

With all the good things that SkyWatcher are coming out with they should really take a look at Orion Optics UK's dob bases to get a few ideas. Much stronger and more durable, yet take up a lot less floorspace.

My 14" OO dob takes up about the same floorspace as my 8" SkyWatcher dob. :)

John

With all the good things that SkyWatcher are coming out with they should really take a look at Orion Optics UK's dob bases to get a few ideas. Much stronger and more durable, yet take up a lot less floorspace.

John

I concur, I may make a square wooden dob base a bit later on; the circular base seems too extravagant. I would like to be able to fit the complete telescope onto a sack truck, at present it has to be split and moved separately.

Skywatcher said "for immediate release"...and I have a 300P arriving next Tuesday, so I guess OVL have them, and as FLO are a first class dealer, I hope they will v soon

Funnily whilst I will be hoping to do a lot of visual with the one at SSP, my main aim is to see how well it images the likes of Jupiter at F30 with some stacked powermate/barlows and also going to try some spectroscopy on fainter stars with it..

Hi James

Will there be any info on the differences between the encoders/motors on last years models and this years goto offering? I'd be very interested to know how much better the new ones are than mine which I upgraded to goto last year.

Cheers :)

Archived