Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Flextube GOTO Dobsonians

New encoders and I believe also (though again don't quote me) some minor mechanical changes

Hopefully this isn't a silly question...

Are the encoders there just to allow the manual slewing feature, or does the mount use them to correct its own tracking error as well?

I'm wondering how good the tracking accuracy is at those (long, to me) focal lengths.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay...this is what I have been told.

>>

There were issues in addition to the GOTO accuracy issue. Using the Standard Auto skywatcher models as a go-to is definitely NOT recommended and could result in invalidation of the warranty

<<<

So for those who planned a cheap upgrade path by slapping a synscan on a standard auto model...maybe think again. The official statement above ties in with my own findings on the model I tested...so whilst it may work, it may also cause some issues which they won't fix if they manifest under warrantee

Prices are lower than the Orion GOTO dobs UK dealer prices so the SkyWatchers should do OK.

Orion XT8g GoTo Dobsonian: £849 + £10 shipping & insurance

Orion XT10g GoTo Dobsonian: £1099 + £10 shipping & insurance

Orion XT12g GoTo Dobsonian: £1599 + £10 shipping & insurance

John

There are some swings and roundabouts with the two. The Orion is better specified compared to the Skywatcher, although not to the tune of £200. The only real disappointment with the Skywatcher is the lack of dual speed crayford, which Orion decided to fit. And Skywatcher still insist on including those lousy eyepieces, where as Orion includes a much, much better eyepiece in the Deepview 2" 28mm 70deg. Also Orion includes an 12.5mm Illuminated Reticle eyepiece, which could be sold if nothing else. But in the end the Skywatcher's trump card is the Flextube arrangement, which makes it a clear winner. :)

Can't wait to see it at Salisbury SP.

Gaz..I was under NDA and still am...I can only pass on what I am allowed to.

Needless to say I thought there were mechnical reasons as well as pure computing electronic ones why the GOTO was not hitting the mark

Ive set mine up now, yes its quite heavy, and the base it pretty large but it fits in and out of my doors ok.

the motors work fine and slewing isnt that noisy, a bit louder than an eq6 id say, when i push manually it makes a bit of creaking noise not sure if its meant to!

I hope for clear skies thursday aswell :p

Is the creaking from the wooden base or the motors? Every dob i've owned has creaked from the base.

Its not from the base, its the motor on one of the arms, it doesnt do it when the motors are moving the scope at speed only when manual push up and down and then only when pushing slowly, which makes me thing maybe something is just a little tight in there

Overall im very happy with it, its looks massive to me lol

Look forward to seeing it Shaun and hopefully a view with the Ethos too.

No idea what the creak is but at least there will be some very experienced bods around to take a look. And FLO will be there to give some advice.

If you have been sent one for testing/demo and are attending SSP we'll hold fire putting one into FLO's demo stock and wait for the 14" model :p

Okey dokey...

Gotta try and fit the damned thing into my car now...:-)...lol

Archived