NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Flextube GOTO Dobsonians

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ben, it was quite amazing. On a 10 degree slope aftre being assembled in pitch darkness in a wet sodden field, it hit every target bang on the money...ask anyone who was there...

Stunned...

Ben, it was quite amazing. On a 10 degree slope aftre being assembled in pitch darkness in a wet sodden field, it hit every target bang on the money...ask anyone who was there...

Stunned...

Does it need re colliminating every time it`s set up and if so how easy is it to do in the wet field condition NickH mentions?

One thing I have found...quite amusing...whilst it hits DSO's bang on every time, try getting it to find the Moon/Jupiter...

Why's that then Nick?

I am seriously hankering for a 14" one, I truly hope they live up to billing.

Regards

Stuart

Think it's just a bug...but every time I try to get it to go to Jupiter, it misses by a good way..

put it back to any Messier/NGC, bang on... date time/parameters all correct...quite funny, and odd

Any updates on releasing the goto kit on its own to strap on a regular dob?

The base is different with specially machined cut-outs for the drive system so it wouldn't be practical to fit the drives into the regular base. However there would be nothing to stop them selling a complete base separately as the OTAs are the same. Just the two plastic bits that connect the OTA to the base would have to be changed and it would just be a matter of unbolting the two parts from the OTA and bolting the new ones on.

John

I see you're supposed to be able to move the scope around manually, does this work well?

Are you asking can it be moved manually, or can it be used manually?

I'm not sure what the GOTO is like but with the Auto Tracking dob manual movement was stiff and only meant for quickly moving the scope to a new position, not for observing manually.

John

Its designed to push to the general area then select goto, it works very well, its a great feature to have without it they wouldnt be as good IMO!

About the goto missing planets, I tried it llast night and it put jupiter bang in the middle so maybe it sa bug with your handset?

I currently have a Skyliner 200 Dob but I do like the looks of the 300P Flextube Goto.

Storage is a bit of an issue and getting outside via a smallish conservatory door.

Could anyone advise how the base of the 300P compares with the 200P sizewise please?

Archived