SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

British Astronomical Association

Bizibilder

How many of you are members of the BAA (or other aaaociations) and what are the benefits of membership?

(I was a BAA member in the early 70's and they were more or less my only source of astronomical information, along with around half a dozen books in my local library!).

I intend to rejoin and was wondering how their "set-up" works today in the world of the internet, forums etc?

I originally joined the BAA in 1960. Went O'seas in 1969 and eventually stopped while in Australia in 1999.

I loved the original A5 sized journal and when they when to the A4 size in the 1980's (?) it wasn't the same.

I do believe as a Society they are still up there with the best in the world.

The BAA still send out 6 issues of the journal each year as well as the annual handbook (or at least they have up until now and they haven't changed it as far as I'm aware) You can also opt for paper circulars but there is a small additional charge for them. Membership runs from August so if you are going to join now would be a good time.

I would think very carefully as the publications they send out are mostly irrelevant unless you have very specific interests. You can get most of the information from the Handbook from other sources and the journal has long rambling pseudo scientific publications. It still thinks it is a foremost science society when I think most of the astronomy world has passed it by.

Owen

I think we need to differentiate between amateur astronomers and casual astronomers. Meaning no disrespect, most people here appear to be casual astronomers with little real knowledge or observational skills. There are of course people here who have very advanced skills getting close to professional standards.

If you are an amateur, observe regularly, keep meticulous records etc, what do you do with all that? If you want to make a contribution to astronomy then the BAA has observing sections to collate the observations made by amateurs. For example, what have you done with those drawings of Mars you made earlier this year? Are they just sitting in a drawer looking pretty, or did you submit then to the Mars Section of the BAA where they would be invaluable.

You know, the amateur astronomer is still able to make a valuable contribution to our knowledge and learning. Depending on your interests, you could either enjoy reading the reports, or make a contribution yourself.

Even your equipment doesn't matter. The observation of variable stars is ruled by amateurs and that 80mm short tube refractor you have sitting in a corner unused is the perfect weapon to keep you busy all night. There's nothing more satisfying than seeing an undulating light curve from stars like AF Cyg or V UMi, or seeing the section's results with your observations in there.

With all the detailed images of the moon coming out recently you would think it was game over for the amateur lunar observer - you'd be wrong. Join the BAA Lunar Section and find out how valuable the amateur still is.

The BAA has observing programs for every skill level as well as the excellent journals and the invaluable handbook. There's something for evryone.

My advice is to join, you won't regret it.

Both Owen and Mr Spocks observations are correct. Ive been a member for <cough> .. since I was 13 (51 now). BAA seems to be stuck in a time warp, IMHO. However I do see some signs that some folk are trying to modernise it. For reporting observations I tend, these days to use "The Astronomer", which send out many timely, accurate, and informative email alerts.

Kev

I think we need to differentiate between amateur astronomers and casual astronomers. Meaning no disrespect, most people here appear to be casual astronomers with little real knowledge or observational skills. There are of course people here who have very advanced skills getting close to professional standards.

If you are an amateur, observe regularly, keep meticulous records etc, what do you do with all that? If you want to make a contribution to astronomy then the BAA has observing sections to collate the observations made by amateurs. For example, what have you done with those drawings of Mars you made earlier this year? Are they just sitting in a drawer looking pretty, or did you submit then to the Mars Section of the BAA where they would be invaluable.

You know, the amateur astronomer is still able to make a valuable contribution to our knowledge and learning. Depending on your interests, you could either enjoy reading the reports, or make a contribution yourself.

Even your equipment doesn't matter. The observation of variable stars is ruled by amateurs and that 80mm short tube refractor you have sitting in a corner unused is the perfect weapon to keep you busy all night. There's nothing more satisfying than seeing an undulating light curve from stars like AF Cyg or V UMi, or seeing the section's results with your observations in there.

With all the detailed images of the moon coming out recently you would think it was game over for the amateur lunar observer - you'd be wrong. Join the BAA Lunar Section and find out how valuable the amateur still is.

The BAA has observing programs for every skill level as well as the excellent journals and the invaluable handbook. There's something for evryone.

My advice is to join, you won't regret it.

That's probably the best advert I have seen the for BAA, I am now seriously considering joining. Thanks. :eek:

I've often thought of joining the BAA but despite almost 30 years in the hobby the above paragraph perfectly sums me up. I'm fanatical about the hobby but i'm no where near advanced and what would i get out of it for my £44?

For reporting observations I tend, these days to use "The Astronomer", which send out many timely, accurate, and informative email alerts.

But they don't correlate observations or make them available for further analysis ...

The BAA isn't perfect (what is?) and it is certainly not aimed at beginners (that's why I'm still a member after nearly 40 years). Beginners would be better off with e.g. the Society for Popular Astronomy. That's not a criticism of the BAA in my book - trying to accommodate everyone would almost inevitably lead to a reduction in standards.

It looks like there are as many opinions as posts (just like asking about a 'scope!!). I am concerned about spending £40+ of hard earned cash just to get the handbook and journals that contain little more than easily (and freely) available information. I also strongly suspect that the amount of USEFUL science that an amateur can do these days is very limited indeed.

It will be interesting to see where this thread leads........

Unfortunately I have been a member of the BAA now for 25 years and I am assistant director of its Deep Sky section so I do pay my dues there. However I rarely now read the journal as I am not interested in asteroid light curves or long reports on Saturn/Jupiter/Mars. Yes amateurs can contribute to VS observing and the quality of imaging of planets now being done by amateurs is superb. I do however debate the validity of drawing planets nowadays for science rather than fun/education. Yes when you had nothing else they gave you information if co-added with others but they were so variable that almost nobody drew the same things.

As commented by Spock if your interest is in asteroids or variable star observing/SN hunting etc. then yes the BAA will have something for you. If you have justa casual interest or are into imaging etc then it may not.

Just be careful what you are looking for when you spend your money. From my years on the BAA council it does have a high churn rate

Owen

As said before the BAA is not really for beginners, but once you get past the basics and have an interest in science rather than recreational observing, then it may be of interest.

The BAA has changed a lot since i joined in the mid 1990's - it is certainly a lot more internet and new media aware. But it still has this Scientific Society ethos which is appealing to some, and not to others.

I have heard the argument about the information in the Handbook being generally available on the internet, and yes it is, but perhaps not all in the same place, so if you can't be bothered searching, you can just look it up.

Regarding the Journal, I doubt very much whether the articles (they call them papers) are really available anywhere else. I will declare a vested interest as I write the sky notes for the Journal, and while there is obvious common information with everyone else that writes sky notes, I do try to find and highlight things which are off the beaten track. Btw. the sky notes are available on the website publicly as soon as the Journal issue is published.

The Journal and many other publications are available to members for download from the website, as are meetings videos and there is a forum too.

I'd also put in a good word for the many meetings the BAA runs, which are not all in London. Generally excellent, and you don't need to be a member to attend, though there may be a small additional charge for some.

And, there are a lot of really good people in the BAA - people that have years of experience in observing, and are really willing to help you out.

Finally, on the question of amateurs doing science - i would say there is more opportunity to do real, valuable, amateur science now than there has been before. The advances in telescopes and cameras, mean that the data that amateurs can generate can compare with the results of professionals. And with the rise of robotic telescopes, even more so.

You would need to judge for yourself whether its worth the £44 (or whatever) the sub is now. Though if you are passive, and just take the Journal and Handbook as reading material, you may not get much out of it. But if you actively engage, then I would hope that you would find it quite rewarding.

/callump

While it's OK to consider what one may get out of the BAA for the £44 or so, perhaps you should also consider what you could do for the BAA / wider astro community as well. Certainly the standard of planetary and deep sky imaging on this forum would be good enough to contribute to our understanding of changes on the planets / SN etc when coordinated by one of the section groups at the BAA. In addition I still get a kick out of having one of my images included in the section repoorts or in the journal.

I think the BAA is changing and the more members of a progressive nature that join, the faster it may happen.

regards

Peter

Certainly the standard of planetary and deep sky imaging on this forum would be good enough to contribute to our understanding of changes on the planets / SN etc when coordinated by one of the section groups at the BAA.

Unfortunately most people don't bother to add information which is essential for scientifc study i.e. date & time, transparency, seeing conditions and the instrument & camera used.

I don't see that contributing images to a forum or other ephemeral publications (e.g. "The Astronomer") is a bar to contributing the same images to the appropriate BAA section. They're complementary rather than competing. If the BAA "progresses" into a Facebook group, I won't be there.

I am currently ....for about another week ....a member of the BAA and have been for over 20 years, I will not be renewing this year because I have found less and less to interest me in the journal and I don't manage to get to the meetings like I used to.

The Winchester Weekend is a fabulous BAA event aimed at practical aspects of astronomy and it was this, along with other section events - Deep Sky, Historical, Variable Star, Instruments and Imaging, Solar etc... that I found the most rewarding and enjoyable. I am really leaving as I can't get to these meetings any more and also find that my local astronomy group provides a more friendly environment.

I always found the BAA Handbook extremely useful - although I'm sure the info is all available on the web - but I have found that you can get this from BAA Publications without being a member - it's about £9.

Overall, great society but you get a lot more out of it if you can get to the main and section meetings and chat to like minded souls.

Well then....................... It appears that the BAA is still running and that there is a mass of knowledge and experience contained within it - but no one, so far, has really made a convincing argument to join! If you are able to attend meetings etc there may be some benefit as well as the opportunity, for the very committed, to do some real science. However, on balance, I think I will put my forty or so quid towards a much needed new eyepiece!

Maybe in a couple of years when I am "fully equipped, tried and tested" I will reconsider. By then clouds will be a thing of the past (!) and the BAA may have pulled itself (screaming?) towards meeting the needs of the 21st centuary amateur astronomer?

Thanks you all for the responses. Before starting this thread I had more or less concluded that the benefits of membership were not worth the outlay for me, at least. Others may conclude differently. Back in the 70's, when I was a member, the BAA was the only real source of information for the amateur astronomer! Now the web, including forums like this one, have changed the way that we communicate so much that such "learned societies" may struggle to survive unless they can develop and change to meet the challenges of the 21st centuary.

Archived