SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Milky Way

robhal9000

Over the past few nights I've noticed a whipsy cloudage, which I now realise is the milky way, as it has remained in the same positon, after so many years of wondering exactly what it looks like, I am rather pleased to have seen it with mine own eyes. Roll on a proper dark site armed with my 20x80s .........

I remember in my early twenties lying on a shingle beach by the River Towy, just a few miles from Newcastle Emlyn, near a little village called Rhandir Muin which is situated in the foot hills of the Welsh Mountains, I was taking a break from fly fishing for Seatrout at about 1.30am in the morning with my Father, the sky was so black and so many Stars, but the Milky way was a wonder to behold and so bright that it gave the impression of shedding light, a memory I shall never forget. The Video is quite amazing.

Beautiful! ... and that was done in April! Envious of Texas? Me? No not at all.. not one bit ;)

Well timed post.. looking forward to seeing the Milky Way through late July - August

So that's what it looks like!

That's what it looks like if your pupils are 42mm wide and your retinas can store incoming light for up to 20 seconds.

Real-world eyes capture a lot less light. Different sort of view, heck of a lot fainter, but just as beautiful.

Archived