Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

An explanation for my astronomy obsession

Just took this test : Wired 9.12: Take The AQ Test

I scored 43. Ouch.

That means I'm a nerd alright. Might explain my obsession for wanting to get that perfect astro picture and spending hours in the freezing cold to try to get it. Of course many of us have a passion for Astronomy and the cost and time that it brings, but Astronomy is an activity that is well suited to aspergie types such as myself, as well as many other personalities of course.

It's quite a personal thing to share, but I'm wondering how many others on here scored a high number on this test and feel that it was this that helped them become interested in Astronomy?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I think a small dose of OCD comes in handy when when dealing with a technical pass time like astrophotography"

Not sure about that, but a case of "Cold Temperature Non-Sensation Disorder" would certainly come in handy.

Massive range of scores here. I think that just shows how diverse Astronomy can be, in the range of personalities it attracts, which I'm finding very pleasing.

An interesting aspect on autism of which Aspergers Syndrome forms part of this total spectrum, is that a significantly higher number of men reportedly have this condition than women - does this in part explain why there are more male astronomers than female? Just a thought.

James

Archived