SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

An explanation for my astronomy obsession

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 for me, I would hope we all qualify for being nerds though!

My most 'nerdy thing' is ballistics. Specifically reloading rifle ammunition.

Better than +/- 3fps, and before my eye trouble, my 'package' accuracy (combined rifle, ammunition, and rifleman accuracy) was better than 1/10th of a minute.

I miss rifle shooting like crazy. :blob10:

• 9 months later...

An old thread now, but I came across it again and noticed a lot of people were asking about some kind of scale for the scores.

I found this chart (below)

It makes my original (sober) score of 43 and tipsy score (after 10 bottles of Heineken) of 38, still way abnormal. Maybe that really does explain my Astronomy obsession !

I guess anyone with scores 1 to 15 would be very artistic, musical, work in hospitality, into literature, poetry, classics....

Clear skies.

post-16194-133877618358_thumb.jpg

At that score I think Bullie's Star Prize would be a book of computer algorithms.

hell i answered really truthfully and got 34 !

OH and i think the prize should be a CARAVAN - be very useful at the star party in September!

Here's a summary of scores and how they compare with typical personalities outside SGL.

I wrote a quick Excel macro to connect to this thread using an HTTP wrapper, extract the scores from the returned HTML stream, then dynamically update the chart. That's about as nerdy as you can get, but I don't have to tell the boss about it.

Remember this is just a bit of fun and doesn't make any diagnosis of any individual.

The average score of participants to date on SGL (24) is comparable to a typical math contest winner, and certainly higher than the average score from all other people who've done the test (16), suggesting there is indeed a slight trend of 'more mathematical / logical / orderly' mindset in those who are interested in astronomy. So no surprises there.

If you scored less than 15 then I am quite envious of you!

What was really pleasing, was the variation of scores, from very "arty" to the very mathematical, suggesting astronomy is really something we can all enjoy.

post-16194-133877618428_thumb.jpg

"Aspies" and ilk are cool... Gently souls, mainly? I can (at least) easily relate! ;)

Not so my OCPD(?) near neighbour. The continual criticism and "advice" I could vaguely cope with. But when he started coming into my garden (while I was out) and moving stuff around that was "in the wrong place"! :) He had to go... :p

On a less serious note: He really "hated" my poor little observatory - Because it has no windows. Apparently, he "couldn't see what I was doing", once I was inside! LOL. Little do they know, Eh Readers? :)

Archived