Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY 16" binoscope

keith5700

Thanks for that, Keith; exactly what I wanted to know. (Conditional alignment is when the optical axes are parallel, but are not -- in your case -- parallel to the centre axis. In a "normal" binocular, it is when they are not parallel to the hinge.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

TOP DRAW !!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is an amazing project totally impressed at every level just one question maybe 2 do you favour one eye or the other when looking through and how would you move it to say the countryside could you take it apart easily my brother was a very good student of engineering in school so much so he built a normal telescope from scratch and got a a level for it and it was put on the school roof unfortunely the scool is no longer there but he also built one in our back garden he is nine years my senior hence my attraction to this wonderful subject by the way the schools name was john hamilton in liverpool once again AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!! jimmythemoonlight

• 2 weeks later...

You might not fancy it but If you ever had an open viewing session I'm sure that there would be a lot of interest!

Congrats, it looks like a fantastically engineered bit of kit, it's almost a shame that it lives under the poor UK skies.

• 1 month later...

Check out the following links:

Astronomy Technology Today Magazine

Astronomy Technology Today Magazine

It's an ATM GOTO 102mm f/6 Celestron Binoscope completed in 2010, with a 40,000 object database and a Warren Estes Memorial Merit Award winner at the 2011 RTMC (Riverside Telescope Makers Conference) at Big Bear City, CA.

Klitwo

post-28448-133877647142_thumb.jpg

Edited by Klitwo

Here are some more photos of my ATM GOTO 102mm f/6 Celestron Binoscope showing the Sky Align NexStar 4SE electronics, dual axis drive gear and clutch system with a 40K+ database........It's a very simple user-friendly ATM GOTO 102mm f/6 Celestron binoscope that provides a very pleasing and comfortable field of view for the observer, all mounted on a Lumicon Altazimuth adjustable height tripod. Very simple to transport, setup and use.

post-28448-133877647411_thumb.jpg

post-28448-133877647419_thumb.jpg

post-28448-133877647425_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I love this thread, and I am now wondering IF..and it's an enormous IF, I could convince the other half to let me redesign my 20" Nasmyth to a 20" Binocular...drooolllll over this thread...

Thanks for the link to it, certainly given me some serious pause for thought.....now where can i buy a small cheap and second hand CNC machine????? :D

• 1 year later...
  • 8 years later...

Wow doesn’t time fly! Here’s a quick update on the binoscope.

I did a full overhaul last year, converted to 3 legs to make it easier to level.

I’ve built an anodising setup, so did some colouring of various parts. It has a Nexus 2 push to system, which is great.

I still hardly use it though, I think my biggest pleasure is in making things. I think it may be time to sell, but where, and how much, I’m not sure. I can’t face putting it on Facebook Marketplace, with all the stupid offers I’ll get, so any suggestions welcome.

I don’t really know how to price it either, I reckon it owes me between £6-7k, so maybe somewhere round there?

cheers.

E75A20E6-A616-4F22-9D8C-5B58CCD8204D.jpeg

FF8568B3-77C2-43BE-8406-FF4D0EB126FC.jpeg

1F0235F3-CE97-4D38-A6A7-36AB7E67C26F.jpeg

0E189710-67BE-4617-A16F-CA0C43E5FDB2.jpeg

B89CF233-BA69-49E0-BADB-884D6E6B4954.jpeg

• Like 8

On 28/06/2023 at 12:51, PeterW said:

Or the SGL for sale page. Big scope, but unique… good luck on the sale, someone is going to be happy! Do you have fresh building plans…?

Peter

If I get enough money for this I’d like to make something a bit more compact, or easier to set up.

Still a binoscope, but with something like 2 x Celestron C11’s. 
I’ve still got to do some sums to see if it would be worth just selling the optics from this, because there’s a load of stuff on this scope that I’d have to buy again for the new one.

Nice engineering!

The price you get is proportional to the size of the market. This is a pretty unique instrument and you may be searching for a customer, rather than the other way around. Anyone interested in forking out say £6k is going to be pretty demanding too. (If it was me I'd worry about dew)

So I definitely consider selling just the mirror sets.

39 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Incredible engineering. Is it easy to collimate?

Well, the initial setup took around 2 days. We had lasers and plumb lines and all sorts of stuff in the workshop, but that was because as well as being collimated individually, and as a pair, it also had to be aligned axially to the central tube, as the main mirrors travel up and down the tube, for focussing.

After that however, I’ve hardly had to touch it. It’s pretty much exactly as I set it initially, presumably because it’s all rigid with no slop anywhere, and it all assembles repeatably on dowel pins, etc.