Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How bad is your light polution?

Here is a 20 second shot taken in my local park, which has the darkest skies.

The dark shots are some extreme photoshoping to try and make them look like night skies LOL

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a really good night, with averted vision, I can see the Full Moon !! Seriously, here in Essex, we are fighting a proposal for more sky beams at an amusment park on Southend Seafront. When they were in use a few years ago they were a complete pain and could be seen from my Club's dark site 7 miles from the park. It's why I took up Solar viewing. Don't let 'em get away with it, object to any such proposals in your area !!

This country needs new laws on street lighting!!

It should be made illegal for any streetlight to project light upwards.

The street lights should be shut off at midnight.

Save money, save the planet and save astronomy!!!

My garden overlooks a power station, and if I venture more than five feet from my back door - my neihbours 3 security lights are triggered. So as you can imagine... I pretty much get confined to looking straight up :-(

I live in a terrace house in inner nottingham with a concrete back yard so when I look out is isnt far off the orange pic that photoshop helped you make however there is no where near that amount of stars on show!

Will be observing this coming winter from my local observatorys conrete slab now I am a member and will be free to use it when I like as it is an outside area for the members ;)

Other then this area I struggle to think of a place in Nottingham that is close to a dark sky :)

On a really good night where I live I can see at least 5 stars. Last year I could actually see the summer triangle and on one night during winter I could actually see two of the stars on orion - amazing stuff.

i basically live in the middle of a field! its a pain though as 3 street lights nearby completely spoil that. you would think there would be something done about it by now :)

rich

buy a gun ;)

I thought I had bad LP, but after reading what some of you guys can see I think i'm doing ok - I can generally see orion ok. I have bad LP to the East over Southend on Sea, the rest of the sky's not too bad.

I can only feel sympathy. :)

Though my south-east horizon is a bit worst now with a new road about 5 miles away. Still I can see more stars then can be counted and the milky way is visible naked eye.

The annoying thing is that I grew up in the countryside with almost zero light pollution. I always took it for granted that you can see the milky way etc. I like having a choice of 3 takeaways within less than a minutes walk but loathe the light pollution that goes with it!

i am from Maldives and at home i can see (faintly) the Milky Way with naked eye.

i am currently in a 1 million + city in Saudi Arabia, and in a good night i can count more than 30 stars. i can easily see Orion and Scorpius. and North Star is also visible.

here are some shots of scorpius i took when i was in Maldives. i used a Panasonic FZ18. and used a f/2.8 aperture. these are straight out of camera. (the bright star on the left is Jupiter. it was September 3, 2008)

15 seconds exposure

4600562738_9b0fed4142_b.jpg

30 second exposures

4600573470_54cc342d21_b.jpg

4600582964_fc911314d6_b.jpg

My skies are not as bad as some on here, can only see south and east, due south there is a street light about 40feet from my garden. To the west I have streetlights that obscure everything.

I used to line on the isle of skye in the NW of Scotland and the skies there were fantastic, if only I was into it back then :)

Archived