Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some studies of the M81-M82 region.

RobH

Hello all.

If anyone’s noticed that my output has been a bit low recently, this is why…. it’s taken forever to put together, and I like to keep some data for when I’m away working, to while away some downtime (it keeps me out of the bar too!)

There is a 2 pane mosaic composed of data from 3 cameras and 3 telescopes taken over 2 years. It’s all been scaled using a combination of Maxim and Registar, and I’ve pretty well thrown all the data I have of this rewarding region at it.

Also I’ve added the images of the individual galaxies, and a close-up plus wider shot of M81 showing Holmberg IX.

Luminance data was captured with a TMB152 and Starlight Xpress H16, colour for each galaxy -TMB 152 and Atik 16HR, starfield colour -William Optics ZS80FD and Atik 16HR, and high resolution colour for the cores of the galaxies-14 inch LX200 and Atik 16HRC.

Imaged over late December 2009 & January & February 2010 with additional LX200 data from February 2008, and 8 hours more Ha captured in March in 30 minute subs binned 2x2 added to M82, after seeing the great results that JohnH and Harry page got on this target.

Imaging times….

M81 18 hours 23 minutes

M82 24 hours 30 minutes

Total imaging time including starfield etc . 49 hours 17 minutes.

Distance is 12 million light years

Visual separation is 130,000 light years

Actual separation is 300,000 light years.

Full size images here….click on them to get the high res versions.

Cheers

Rob

Mosaic

pic and description page

M81

pic and description page

M82

pic and description page

post-14403-133877444933_thumb.jpg

post-14403-133877444937_thumb.jpg

post-14403-133877444944_thumb.jpg

post-14403-133877444951_thumb.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blimey, my brain is in a complete know just reading through all the stuff you have combined here! I remember looking M81 at SGL5 and thinking it was superb. M82 and the mosaic match the standard. The highlight for me is are the outer arms of M81, terrific resolution and I love those little rubies. The faint dust lanes in the core are also showing very nicely. For me, and it's that subjective thing again, the core is an tiny bit too green. Had a look on work and home monitors. High order nit picking that though. Fantastic work and patience well rewarded

Thanks guys. :D

Martin....I just did a very slight tweak at the upper end of the green with curves, and although it looked ok to me before, it did suddenly get better, with the blues and reds becoming slightly more vibrant so I think you are right. Tricky with uncalibrated monitors though, and I'm currently down under in Canberra and have been working on it with my lappy.

Oft to bed now anyway as it's gone 1am here.

Cheers

Rob

Stunning result Rob, love the colour detail in M81.:p

The whole image is lovely and smooth and I don't mean noise reduced smooth but put the time in at the scope smooth.:D

Congrats well worth the effort you have put into it.

Mike.

That's utterly amazing Rob!

The detail is mind blowing - as is the commitment in imaging time and processing given to this grouping....

Resolution and smoothness top notch - you've raised the bar for us mere mortals!!!

:D:p:) :) ;):)

Off to bed??? You're an astronomer, Sir; get up immediately and start fiddling with cables!!

I love the cigar and the outer arms of the spiral. Wizard and flickering with little details. To 'high order nit pick' the core is a trifle over cooked to my eye with a hard transition from the arms. But hey. As for all that went into it, all I can say is that my scatterbrain is still reeling...

A worthy work, as ever.

Olly

Oh my......... if the universe did not look wonderous enough!

Super work Rob! I am impressed at the merging of so many imaging sessions. Was it difficult to scale the images from the variety of equipment to build up the depth of 49 hours? Is that something that Registar helps with?

APOD worthy for sure!!!!!

Your hard work has REALLY paid off! You have got to be pleased with that!!!!

Enjoy 'Down Under'!

Cheers,

Sheri

Thanks again all :D

Sheri....Registar is pretty essential for merging and rescaling all the different data in an image like this....it makes it really easy, and allows you to use all the data that you have, hence the 49 hours total.

Olly....after not looking at the images for a couple of days, I see what you're saying and will post a reprocess over the next few days with the core eased back a bit....I've already done the master TIFF and it is an improvement, as is the slight backing off of the top end of the green curve.

Cheers

Rob

Archived