NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Narrowband IC410 Tadpoles (HST Pallette) 30 odd hrs

Tim

I had hoped to add a little more time to this image, but with the lightening nights and the year rolling around i'll have to wait until next year now, I've been adding little bits for a couple of months now.

This one has around 10hrs 30 mins for each channel (Ha, OIII, SII) using Baader filters. Sub length 1200 secs in each case, and many of them captured during those lovely clear FULL moon nights

Telescope used is Skywatcher MN190, off axis guided and imaged with an SXV-H9 mono camera.

I have left this one alone for some time as it is very easy to go round and round the houses with the colours, but have settled on this scheme as that which emphasises the detail more effectively.

I'll probably be switching and swapping and changing etc for some time to come ;)

Thanks for looking.

Tim

tj-albums-mak-newt-190-pictures-picture4462-ic410-hst-pallette-tadpoles.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A popular target this one this season and this is one of the best with pleasing Tadpole structures floating in a sea of O3 - dark crab like shapes top left show filamentary complexity - well done Tim.

John.

as others have said, this is a terrific image - great work.

I am particularly impressed witrh how you have managed to avoid the red-rimmed stars one so often sees in NB images even when the Hubble palette is used.

Derrick

Nice work Tim.

:)

In imaging, patience is the key, and the 30 hours have given you a choice on how to approach it, rather than the appoach being dictated by the noise levels.

Long duration imaging is rather addictive don't you think!! :mad:

Cheers

Rob

Thanks all :) In some ways Rob, I'm glad I dont live somewhere with dark skies every night, i'd NEVER sleep! The real drawback with taking 20min+ subs is the amount of time it takes to aquire enough to get the noise down, especially when the signal is very faint anyway. Add in the fact that OIII doesnt work very well on bright moonlit nights and the opportunities really start diminishing.

My eventual aim is to tune my mount enough , with PEC tuning included, to get really long exposures on targets that just dont reveal any detail without it. For instance, M57, with 20 min subs you get a hint of something beyond the main bright donut. At 30 mins you can see clearly there is an outer ring, and at 40 mins, you start getting structure in it. With the Baader Ha filter, the histogram is still firmly placed where it should be after even 60 min subs, the light pollution has little or no effect, so the long exposures are very capable at just adding signal where you want it.

The other drawback is the aircraft, very frustrating to lose a perfectly good 20 min shot to an aircraft streak, and even with 35 odd subs as here, I find that sigma stacking will leave some trace of the line which shows up under stretching. I noticed you had one of the little blighters in your 24hr galaxy shot too. Maybe the BA strike will help :mad:

Cheers

Tim

That is the problem with long exposures though Tim....there's always a catch.

An aircraft streak is easy to deal with if it's visible in the finished image (if not, I'm not fussed about it :)), but a single little cloud, the only one in the sky, that happens to go in front of your shot for one minute out of the 60 will ruin the sub.

I've gone up to 30 minutes, and looking at the histogram could certainly do an hour in NB, but I doubt I'll aim for more than 30 minutes.

The real way to grab that elusive stuff is to get a big, shortish FL scope and cut down the time you need when imaging in this country I think, to avoid clouds and aircraft etc.

Cheers

Rob

We need to rename you Marathon Man Tim. I think you have established the relationship between long sub images, and very successful final results, and this Image is proof indeed. It could pass for a Hubble job.:)

Ron.

The first word that popped into my head was "Hubble".. One of those images that actually makes you wonder where the line between "amateur" and "professional" starts and ends :).. Absolutely stunning image Tim, superb quality, detail and colour :mad:

Marius

Archived