Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEW Tal 125R Apolar APO Refractor

I was on the Tal factory forum today and read a post regarding rough pricing of the forthcoming(next year) A-100(4") and the A-150(6") Apolar scopes. If I'm correct with the translation, they're aiming for the selling prices of these scopes(in Russia) to be 20,000 roubles for the former and 100,000 roubles for the latter(1000 roubles=£21). No idea what the selling price will be over here, after taxes, shipping etc are added, even if they do get imported.

Cheers,

Andy.

edit: I think(stress, think) the 6" will be F6.6, which would make it the same length, roughly, as the 100RS.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

edit: I think(stress, think) the 6" will be F6.6, which would make it the same length, roughly, as the 100RS.

If that's true and it's cheap enough, that's almost the perfect scope for imaging and observing!

Tony..

• 3 months later...

Will there be one available for an SGL review? :(

Yes :)

We are sending John, aka jahmanson, a Tal 125 Apolar APO refractor to review for SGL.

We have had a number of requests from people wanting to review this telescope, it was difficult to select just one person. There will be more opportunities to review kit over the coming months and there is a strong chance we will have a Tal 125 Apolor available for use at the SGL-6 Star party in Lucksall.

Steve

Yes :(

We are sending John, aka jahmanson, a Tal 125 Apolar APO refractor to review for SGL.

We have had a number of requests from people wanting to review this telescope, it was difficult to select just one person. There will be more opportunities to review kit over the coming months and there is a strong chance we will have a Tal 125 Apolor available for use at the SGL-6 Star party in Lucksall.

Steve

Thanks Steve - I'm very happy to have an opportunity to try the Apolar out and I'll be delighted to post a full review on SGL at the earliest opportunity :confused:

If anyone has any specific areas that they would like me to cover then just let me know, either in this thread or by PM. Please bear in mind that I'm a visual astronomer so assessing or commenting on it's imaging capabilities would be beyond me I'm afraid :)

If anyone has any specific areas that they would like me to cover then just let me know, either in this thread or by PM. Please bear in mind that I'm a visual astronomer so assessing or commenting on it's imaging capabilities would be beyond me I'm afraid :)

<cough> I'm very interested from an imaging perspective, send it this way... :(. Seriously though, I would like to see how it performs next to an ED120.

Tony..

<cough> I'm very interested from an imaging perspective, send it this way... :). Seriously though, I would like to see how it performs next to an ED120.

Tony..

I can compare it to the 6" Intes mak-newt Tony - that might give you an idea, with you having owned the mak-newt and, currently an ED120 I believe :(

That'd be a good comparison John :), IIRC the Argonaut had the resolution and performed better on brighter objects like the Moon, planets, open clusters etc etc but lost a little ground on extended objects like nebulae which I figured was down to the loss of light you get with compound scopes, either way there wasn't much in it. Should be a fun review to do!

Actually, I'm thinking should there be one at SGL6 we bring all three and have a bit of a face off. That would be a good session!

Tony..

Hi John,

I'll be keen to hear what you think of this new Tal refractor.

My only concern is that, given its compex, multi-element design, it won't have issues with mis-collimation, especially when transporting it from place to place.

Regards,

Neil.

Hi Neil,

Yes, thats an issue that I have been wondering about since I first learned of the proposed design of the scope. I'll be sure to star test it to the best of my ability and I'll check out and report back on any owner-accesible collimation facilities that are incorporated :(

Hope it comes with a cloud dispersal device :)

Thanks Andy - very interesting.

I love the last line on the second page:

"Alignment requires certain experience and qualification." :)

Forgot I had these.

There's a wee bit of info on collimation/alignment of the 125 apolar in the two links below.

Stargazers Lounge - AndyH's Album: Other - Picture

Stargazers Lounge - AndyH's Album: Other - Picture

Cheers,

Andy.

John,

Am chuffed to bits for you that you will review the 125APO and everyone here will trust your judgment totally in giving us some quality factual data on the scopes performance. I'm really looking forward to your review.

You asked for points of interest to take note of...you have that lovely Mak Newt 6" and, as a big Tal fan, a refractor fan, but also a very impressed owner of a 6" Lomo Mak, I'll be really interested to hear how the big Tal does versus your Mak Newt in terms of:

-Faintest stars discernible

-Deep Sky objects...M42 and the Trap for instance?

-Double star performance...given Neil Englishs' interesting theories on longer fracs and depth of focus, I'd like to hear how the short F7.5 Tal does on these objects?

Good luck with the reviw and thanks in advance John, for everything you will share with us:-).

good luck

Dave

Archived