Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEW Tal 125R Apolar APO Refractor

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have none of you heard that there is a recession?

Mark

Nope, we're officially out of it now (tell that to my bank balance!)

Nice looking scope and it's a Tal - you can't go wrong!

The recession has hit Tal.

If you were holding off the 125Apolar for the 150 version, it'll be a long wait.

I can see the 125 selling quite well now. Not that it wasn't before. I read that demand was outstripping supply of these models.

More details in the Tal User Group.

Andy.

You have to give it to Tal for producing an interesting design. In several ways it reminds me of the work done by Blair and Barlow during the Victorian period.

I use an APO scope that use short flint glass (based on the design used by Roland Christen many years ago). The glass is so far out of the ball park, it can't be regarded as ED, yet the scope certainly produces APO images with my camera. The field is also flatter than that of the more standard ED doublets.

So it will be very interesting to see how the Tal performs.

Ref the grey band...I had a 125R until recently and the flared tube design on this new one looks the same..the 125R was longer, at F8.9 (confess I'm disappointed the new one is only F7.5, I'd have preferred an F9 or F10, but I guess shipping considerations, the chinese competition, pallet fit for the crates etc have all been factored in..

the 125R tube was in two parts, threaded in one to the other, at the grey band point. Of course that was only a doublet, and the lens cell itself could be collimated. I think the two part tube was a cost saving measure, ie use part of a standard RS100 tube, then a shorter flared section to accommodate the 5" glass..whatever the reason, it made for a unique looking scope which I found very attractive.

I can't wait to hear how the new 'un performs. I've owned 4 Tal refractors (still have a nice 100R on gem mount/wooden tripod/wooden coffin), and they have all been superb optically. I'd hoped the price would be nearer £1100-1200, but we have our worthless currency to thank for the likely higher price.

Hat's off to FLO for ordering some in...let's hope we can soon read some exciting reviews!;)

.... Of course that was only a doublet, and the lens cell itself could be collimated.....

I wouldn't fancy collimating 6 elements in 3 groups ;)

I've heard that the petzval design can be a headache - this might be even more so.

I wouldn't fancy collimating 6 elements in 3 groups ;)

I've heard that the petzval design can be a headache - this might be even more so.

My Petzval isn't too bad to collimate but I've found when its a just little bit out the views are awful. Theres no "it'll do for tonight".

Love Tal refractors having owned 2 x 100r and a fantastic 125r now owned by a fellow SGL member. I must admit I just wonder about the number of optical elements and collimation . I am not sure if it is the way to go when you can pick up ed120's and meade 127 triplets for less? I hope I am wrong and first brave soul who get's one is blown away! I wish someone would manufacture something affordable(sub 2k) in the 140-152mm range , I think Tal should have gone for that as it would really be something I and many others would be tempted with.

cheers

Dave

Cheers for that f15!;)

The price point is interesting, Tal must feel its clearly "better" than its Equinox/ Meade counterparts.

They probably didn't aim for that price themselves. Importing and transport of such heavy equipment from Siberia doesn't come cheap and so all Tal equipment suffers from a fairly steep price hike in the UK.

In point of fact the 'factory price' of Tal stuff is actually usually extremely cheap in even in comparison with China.

Imported optics in Russia are hugely expensive. A skywatcher ED triplet would cost twice the price for our Russian friends!! So it was designed and made with the Motherland's, amateur astronomers in mind ?

Cheers,

Andy.

ps: Pulling all that Tal stuff in from the car was a killer.

Solar_B(Brian) - Tal man Andy......wahahaha. Thanks for pointing me n Allison, to that awesome Solar scope. Breathtaking and VERY addictive views of that ginormous solar flare.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Sadly they are still in Russia....

Are any 125R Apolar's heading west yet or are they still confined to Siberia ?.

Given the expected price and spec a comparison with the Meade 5000 ED127 would be VERY interesting :)

You are not going to like this :)

Apparently the eta has slipped to "mid-summer".

Please don't shoot the messenger...

Oh well ........ I seem to recall that arrival of the Meade ED127 was significantly delayed by quality control issues - I think that took around 18 months or so to resolve and for a time most folks thought that Meade had gone off the whole idea ....

Do they have summer in Siberia?

Olly

Oh yes! It gets up to a balmy -50C! The top 3 inches of ground defrost into mub and Siberians are known to go out in trunks/bikinis and fur hats. :)

• 3 months later...

Archived