Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEW Tal 125R Apolar APO Refractor

Details are coming in of a new Tal 125R Apolar APO f7.5 Refractor. So far, we know it features premium-quality 125mm 'Apolar' optics comprising 6-elements in 3 groups, a Crayford focuser, 940mm focal-length, f7.5 f-ratio, 6x30 finder, weighs about 8kg and is supplied in a wooden packing case.

tal_125_apo_sgl.jpg

The Apolar design is interesting, details can be found HERE

tal_apolar.jpg

The price has not been set but we are expecting around £1500.

EDIT: The telescope has arrived :headbang:

For up-to-date details of this and other Tal telescopes please see our website.

Steve

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news Steve !!

More info in the Tal Users Group. Pics n info n stuff. :p

It's a triplet, but not as we know it............... Who said a similar phrase? Kirk? Bones? :headbang:

Cheers,

Andy.

Send it to Rorh at astro-foren.de :headbang: He will hunt any bad optics :) Comparison to Chinese "NoName" triplets would be interesting (branded also by Maxvision, Omegon, Individual and Astronomy Technologies (Astro-Tech), TS). 127 "NoName" got good results in Rohr tests :p (Bosma maks also look nice)

I wish TAL would lower prices of their klevcov scopes ;)

Good news Steve !!

More info in the Tal Users Group. Pics n info n stuff. :headbang:

Thank-you Andy :p

I have updated my original post to include a schematic of the new Apolar design and a link to further information.

As Andy says in his post, SGL has a recently-formed Tal User Group where this and other Tal designs are discussed.

Riklaunim, Tal's Apolar design is more sophisticated than the 'noname' products you mention. I too would be interested in a comparison.

Steve

They say it's easier to make (in the patent desc) so it should be cheaper. If it's better then it should give better strehl/quality... but does standard European seeing allow using those extra strehl points? Mysterious and interesting...

That design is interesting - from the diagram there appear to be 6 lens elements - is the term "triplet" still applicable ?.

I note from the link provided that conventional glass types (rather than an ED type presumably) are used.

It is a rather facinating design, is it not? If I remember correctly, it has a flat field, so no need for the extra cost of a flattener thingy for AP(wow....you can tell I've read up on imaging....sigh) Mind you I'm only interested on how it performs with my eyeball. No bad reports from the Russian forums.

Andy.

That design is interesting - from the diagram there appear to be 6 lens elements - is the term "triplet" still applicable ?.

I was wondering the same. I guess a more useful description would be '6 elements in 3 groups'. I used the term 'triplet' because this telescopes has been discussed/rumoured since last Christmas, and always refered to as the 125-triplet.

I note from the link provided that conventional glass types (rather than an ED type presumably) are used.
We are told that it utilises two different optical types, but we don't know what they are.

Mechanically, looks like Tal have upped their game in the last wee while. Looks like a stonkingly heavy duty crayford, similar to the ones on the new 100RS. Users of them, seem to be uber happy with the quality. Dewshield looks better too, with matt black interior and a lock screw. The handle is a great idea, that should be utilised on the Klevtsov models too, IMO.

Cheers,

Andy.

Actually John, I think you are right and as we are currently the only UK retailer to have announced this new telescope we are in a good position to set a precedent.

I have deleted 'triplet' from the thread title and the product description :headbang:

Steve

Actually John, I think you are right and as we are currently the only UK retailer to have announced this new telescope we are in a good position to set a precedent.

I have deleted 'triplet' from the thread title and the product description :headbang:

Steve

That certainly puts it in a unique niche Steve :p

I don't really care what glass is used as long as it's well figured and polished - from the TAL's I've tried in the past, that's something they are rather good at.

Looks like a stonkingly heavy duty crayford, similar to the ones on the new 100RS. Users of them, seem to be uber happy with the quality.

I have been trying to determine whether the Tal 100RS refracter will have the new Crayford focuser when the next shipment arrives but have been unable. My guess is that they will.

We have also been asked about the new Tal mounts, the ones that run on DC. Unfortunately it looks as though they won't be coming into the UK, at least not in the next shipment.

Steve

Ohhh no, why do these people keep doing this, I just get used to a new scope then someone comes along with another beauty of a scope to tempt me:D

Very nice, Mick, if you buy one I want a look through it :headbang:

Philj

Shame about the mounts, but not surprising. Probably wouldn't sell many on their own. Would be nice if they were offered as a package with the Tal scopes, but it's probably down to the weight and cost of shipping them over here in small amounts.

That'll be the MT-3S Stepper mounts. I've got one. Rather good. Holds a ton(easily 20kg) like the 2M mount, but not quite as good IMO(nearly tho). Mind you, it comes with a motor drive corrector and illuminated pole finder and as well as running from the wall electricity, also off a battery.

Are the Tal wooden tripods going to be imported again? Noticed a wee while back they'd dissapeared from OVL's site?

Same goes for Tal accessories(eg: eyepieces, diagonals etc). Whilst I realise this is out of your control, I'd like to buy their stuff from you rather than order direct from Novosibirsk.

Cheers,

Andy.

I wonder if that gray band is unscrewable to allow access to the first set of sub aperture lenses (perhaps for collimating purposes)?

Mmmm. Good point. Perhaps someone who's had a 125R could answer that question? It also has the flared tube.

Andy

Not sure about the wooden tripods Andy, I'll let you know if I hear anything. Not sure about the grey band either Gaz, we'll know more when they arrive. I am hoping we'll have one in time for the SGL-5 Star Party...

I had a vague recollection of seeing something similar before and then I remembered an old concept called the Dialyte refractor, and in particular the Dialyte 6 element refractor design. Worth googling to read up on the concept.

John

Oh lordy, I was hoping I'd never see this scope in production but it looks like I've got some thinking to do!

Tony..

Hehehe.....:p

It's just the start of the apolar series. Production of a 6" starts this year sometime. In the years to come expect a 4", 8" and 3" :headbang:

Oh happy days:evil6:

Andy.

Archived