Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEW Tal 125R Apolar APO Refractor

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Steve - I'm very happy to have an opportunity to try the Apolar out and I'll be delighted to post a full review on SGL at the earliest opportunity :p

If anyone has any specific areas that they would like me to cover then just let me know, either in this thread or by PM. Please bear in mind that I'm a visual astronomer so assessing or commenting on it's imaging capabilities would be beyond me I'm afraid ;)

John, it would be interesting to check out how it performs with a 2" diagonal and 2" eyepiece, can they be brought to focus properly? My tal 100rs(crayford version) does not have enough in focus travel to bring my 32mm 2" eyepiece coupled with 2" diagonal to focus, needs the tube reducing an inch in length.

I am very interested to see how it performs on very tight doubles if you get the chance really test that collimation!

cheers

Dave

P.S Well done Steve for supplying a scope to test.

John, it would be interesting to check out how it performs with a 2" diagonal and 2" eyepiece, can they be brought to focus properly? My tal 100rs(crayford version) does not have enough in focus travel to bring my 32mm 2" eyepiece coupled with 2" diagonal to focus, needs the tube reducing an inch in length.

I am very interested to see how it performs on very tight doubles if you get the chance really test that collimation!

cheers

Dave

P.S Well done Steve for supplying a scope to test.

The scope won't be with me until after Astrofest. Thought I ought to say that so that you don't feel I'm dragging my heels :p

I use 2" diagonals and Ethe and 2" Nagler eyepieces - so if they won't come to focus I've got a problem !.

I always like to test a scope on tight doubles - I remember the lists of "test" double stars in the older astronomy books - I think they are an excellent test of optics (and observer ;)).

Thanks for the sugestions Dave - I'm going to try and be systematic about testing the scope :D

Dave -what diagonal are you using - I have a Revelation 2" and although in focus can be tight with one eyepiece (Panaview 38mm) it will come to focus.

Some diagonals have a very high socket for the eyepiece and it could be a cause of problems.

Dave -what diagonal are you using - I have a Revelation 2" and although in focus can be tight with one eyepiece (Panaview 38mm) it will come to focus.

Some diagonals have a very high socket for the eyepiece and it could be a cause of problems.

Mel, I use a revelation 2" quartz dielectric diagonal coupled with a 32mm GSO 2" Eyepiece. Just not enough in travel , i am about 15mm short so going to shorten tube by an inch. Not sure why some tals seem just about ok and others not!

cheers

Dave

I used to have one of the original TAL100's and that certainly had "in focus" issues with some eyepieces - notably the Celestron Ultima 35mm which had it's focal plane high up in the eyepiece body.

• 2 weeks later...

John

We are waiting with bated breath to hear about this scope, so no pressure!

Sadly OVL didn't take one to Astrofest so we weren't able to get a look at one even.

You probably have a lot of folk willing there to be clear skies at your location.

Adrian

...And what's that strange looking machine in the top left of pic 1 & 2? Must be some sort of antique from the last century.

Ahem .... :( - we still have loads of VHS I'm afraid - weddings, kids birthdays, entire series of Red Dwarf, Blackadder etc. Embarassing I know but at least it's not a Betamax one !

Looking forward to your review John, will you be comparing it to

the refractor and chromacor you got ?

Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,

I'll do my best to draw comparisons where they help illustrate the scopes performance. I have a 6" Russian maksutov-newtonian which would also make an interesting comparison as it's reputed to perform in a similar fashion to a good 5" apochromat.

At the moment I'm just finding my way around the scope and reading the manual (yes, it does come with one !). The conditions here tonight don't appear to favour any viewing, unfortunately :(

• 2 weeks later...

Only seen the box and...

want one, want one, want one, want one, want one, want one, want one...:p

silly question John, but don't you just love the SMELL of Tals?...anyone who has bought a new Tal will know what I mean..:glasses1:

Once you have evaluated it, it will of course be "used"...so, FLO, can I have first dibs at half price as a used scope, pretty please?

:);):D:eek:

And of course now that John has the scope it will be cloudy for weeks on end..

good luck.

Dave;)

Archived