Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Field Flattener

Coco

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Dave, didnt know you were on SGL, I am still amazed that you are able to get 8 min unguided with your LX200 classic.

Lee

Hi Lee

I had hoped to have a fine tune to see if I can get it any better but it's been cloudy here for what seems an age. I reckon a bit more tweaking can be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a first comparison of the corrected field and a standard field with a WO Megrez 110 f/5.95. It is a very nice flattener that delivers a very good, flat image. Still, I think it can be a bit better if I could find a smaller T2 extension tube (7mm + some plastic spacers instead of the 7.5 I have now).

post-22634-133877531187_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

William Optic Megrez 110 APO Doublet f/5.9

Skywatcher flattener & ATIK 314L / ATIK USB Filter Wheel / Astronomik 1.25 Ha Filter

update: ATIK - ATIK USBFW - 12.5MM SPACER - SKYWATCHER FLATTENER approx 44mm from chip surf to rear element.

original.jpg

Edited by Coco

Presumably these are optimized so the right distance is achieved from the glass to the chip?

I'm looking at the TS one for my 80mm and it's optimized for that. But being just £65...it's tempting to try the SW one :)

• Like 1

Presumably these are optimized so the right distance is achieved from the glass to the chip?

I'm looking at the TS one for my 80mm and it's optimized for that. But being just £65...it's tempting to try the SW one :)

If you don't want to lose focal length then I'd try one :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used one on CoCo's scope and it was great, I sold it when i was planning on getting a CCD and doing things differntly, well now the CCD plan is on a "Ponder" as im having a rethink about going to OSC as the time to get Narrowband and clear nights quiet frankly this year is so off putting.... yadda yadda.. blah blah....

So anyway i have bought another as im going back to DSLR while I ponder my options again.

• 1 year later...

Hi all ! I'm getting mixed answers to my question depending on the sources so I might as well try here.

I bought this gizmo a while back for my Equinox 80ED.

My main imager is now a GSO RC8" at f8.

I use a CCDT67 as a reducer on this one.

I was wondering if I could use the SW flatener along with it. The setup would be as follows :

450D > T2 ring > SW flatener with M48 extension screwed off > CCDT67.

The CCDT67 brings the f8 to f5.5 (more or less) so I guess the focal ratio fits the SW flattener.

Since the CCD67 is NOT a reducer, do you think that train of gear could actually work out ?

I also have a TS 2" flattener for RC, but the required distance between the sensor and the lens makes it impossible to use along with the CCDT67. They would require to overlap.

Thanx for your input !

Since the CCD67 is NOT a reducer, do you think that train of gear could actually work out ?

Guess you meant to say that it's not a flattener?

Interesting post as I've just got the CCDT67 for my 8" RC. I did notice a fair bit of curvature on my first session at the weekend, but that's just one of many gremlins I need to address with my imaging processes.

I also have the SkyWatcher flattener that I got for my 70mm frac. Never really thought about whether it's feasible or not to use it in the RC image train with the reducer. Only only one way to find out - will have to give it a try at some stage.

Yes of course thanx for pointing out my mistake.

On paper this setup SHOULD be working. FLO says it doesn't. Others say it should.

Being in the Paris area, with the bad weather we've had, i dont know when I'll be able to give this a try. And when I'm out on the field, wich is not very often, I prefer not to have to do testing...

And when I'm out on the field, wich is not very often, I prefer not to have to do testing...

Understand that - clear nights are so few and far between, you want to make the most of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching this thread with great interest ~ WO type II f/f reducers were origiinally produced for their ZS66 OTA's but the type II's are now discontinued and subsequently as rare as hen's teeth :(

Has anyone tried out The Skywatcher f/f reducer with a ZS66 and if so ~ would you be kind enough to show the uncropped "before and after" results please?

Cheers,

Keith.