SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Field Flattener

Coco

I bought this from FLO, with the intention of using it on a Revelation 100 ED f/6 scope with a modified EOS 40D.

I'm very fussy about equipment not working so at less than £70.00 I had reservations. :evil6:

SKYWATCHER below:

skywatcher_field_flattener.jpg

The claim:

''A high-quality, non-focal-reducing Field Flattener optimised for DSLR imaging on refractor telescopes with focal ratios from f/5.5 to f6.0.

Will also provide much improved results on refractors with focal lengths narrowly outside this optimised f/range.''

I can whole heartedly recommend this flattener from FLO, since receiving mine the price has dropped slightly and is currently only £65.00..

One bonus for me is that my 2.5 inch focus tube only has to protrude 15mm to achieve infinity focus, my scope and camera have 'no droop' which was a pain before...

NOTE:

William Optics have a similar one, I cant say if they are the same optically however its nearly twice the price, I'll let you ponder over whether its worth twice as much.

WILLIAM OPTICS below..

william_optics_flattener_88.jpg

Thank you Steve @ FLO for a rapid service... :eek:

Here is a wide field image using the SKYWATCHER flattener..

original.jpg

Here is a sample of another target but you can see what effect you get without a flattener..

original.jpg

Edited by Coco

I am interested in buying one of these to try with my Equinox 66.

Have you noticed any vignetting when using the Flattener, I cant really tell from the image you posted.

Also does the Flattener accept 2" filters?

I am a bit uncertain weather to go for one of these or, a william optics 0.8 flattener II, Baader MPCC.

I have read that the WO flattener III is POO.

I just noticed you also own a ZS66, any chance you could try the flattener with it before I go and buy one.

Thanks

I'll see what i can do... wont happen soon though, my kits pier mounted and after much gnashing of teeth perfectly parked and ready for the next adventure..

I could try it on the astrotrac, with short 1min subs? that should eliminate any astrotrac issues, they aren't that good at 400mm..

Guy

Ok my Skywatcher Flattener arrived today, and I have just done some test shots, blighted by the full Moon.

Here are the results, First is Prime focus from last week, second is with flattener from tonight.

Overall improvement though nowhere as good as COCO'S results,

I know they are different scopes, but both are f6 so should have produced similar improvement.

Also when focused there was 4mm spare inward travel on my focuser, but unfortunately my 2" Baader LPR filter is 8mm thick so can't achieve focus with the filter. I guess that means I will have to either buy a clip filter or trim some thickness off the filter barrel.

post-18769-133877429543_thumb.jpg

post-18769-13387742955_thumb.jpg

Ok my Skywatcher Flattener arrived today, and I have just done some test shots, blighted by the full Moon.

Here are the results, First is Prime focus from last week, second is with flattener from tonight.

Overall improvement though nowhere as good as COCO'S results,

I know they are different scopes, but both are f6 so should have produced similar improvement.

Also when focused there was 4mm spare inward travel on my focuser, but unfortunately my 2" Baader LPR filter is 8mm thick so can't achieve focus with the filter. I guess that means I will have to either buy a clip filter or trim some thickness off the filter barrel.

Well it certainly an improvement, its given you at least another 20% extra crop area, I use a CLS clip filter so maybe try a few test shots without a filter? :)

Guy..

Hmmm... I wonder if this would be better than the WO flattener III with my megrez 72. The flattener III is OK I suppose... you can vary the shape of corner stars by adjusting the focus, but "round" isn't one of the options ;)

That looks to be doing a great job... does anyone know what...

"Will also provide much improved results on refractors with focal lengths narrowly outside this optimised f/range."

really means ? The optimised range being f/5.5 to f/6

That looks to be doing a great job... does anyone know what...

"Will also provide much improved results on refractors with focal lengths narrowly outside this optimised f/range."

really means ? The optimised range being f/5.5 to f/6

Yeah, I want to know this too... I've got a wee f/5 scope that I'd really like to correct if possible. I guess if the nice people at FLO are good enough to let people try them out I might have to give one a whirl at some point. Obviously the faster a scope is the trickier it is.

Anyone out there using one of these on an f/5 scope?

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Im posting here for the first time, I have an Equinox 80ED & 120ED OTA's on Skywatcher EQ6Pro mounts, and i am looking to get a Field Flattener/Focal Reducer so i can start imaging using my Canon EOS 300D. Has anyone used the Skywatcher flattener on these OTA's and if so what adapter did you use?

• 5 months later...
Ok I had FLO online, they tell me both are EXACTLY the same. I went for the SW...

Like so much from Taiwan... its down to a brand preference badge.. :)

Good choice and kudos to Steve for an honest answer...

i have both the sw flattener and the wo fffr 111, the sw is great with my equinox 80, not tried it with my m72 yet. although psycobilly seems to get good results from his wo fr/ m72 combination i've not had any luck with the wo reducer. pity as it was alot more money than the sw flattener, and i really fancied imaging at f 4.8

enzo