Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dalby Forest Starfest 2010 13th to 16th Aug

ako

Tenth Summer Star Festival, 2010

Friday August 13th to Monday August 16th

(Three nights observing)*

Adderstone Field, Dalby Forest, in the North York Moors National Park

We invite you to come and join us for three nights observing in an elevated dark site within the stunning Dalby Forest on the foothills of the North York Moors. Our site is within easy reach of Pickering, with its steam railway, and the seaside resorts of Scarborough, Whitby and Filey. There are many beautiful walks in the area, both within the forest itself and further afield. This area is well known for its many and varied attractions.

There is a large and well-drained field for camping, (tents and caravans) with portable toilets.

The cost for the weekend will be

£20 per adult, (adults start at 16); 11-15 year olds £10;

5-10 yr olds £5, with under fives free.

*As last year we can accommodate early arrivals on the Thursday (after 5 pm) in order to help those who have a long way to come, and at the same cost as last year - £5 a car.

There is a limit to the number of guests we can accommodate, so book early and avoid disappointment!

For more details and booking,

http://www.scarborough-ryedale-as.org.uk/astro/starfest.htm

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Booking mine spot next weekend.

I attended last year with a good few from this forum, Ron, Matt etc.

For those who've not visited this event, here's a few images to show just how dark it is....

372481726.jpg

372475069.jpg

Not getting paid for this bump, its just one fantastic event with more than helpful oragnisers.

Village of Thornton Le Dale 5 minutes from the camp site.

Personally I cannot wait.

Eddie

Great place, and lots around just a short drive away.

Whitby, lovely place if you like Count Dracula. North York Moors Steam Railway, Pickering, may be the Steam Rally again if the date is right. Castle Howard Stately Home and Gardens. Beautiful there.

Don't forget the Lemon Drizzle cake at the Jingly Dell Cafe just up the road from Adderstone field where the Starfest is.

Given good skies, it's a superb get together, but then all Star Parties are like that.:).

Ron.

Whoops, Sorry Ako, I'm repeating what you already posted.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Portaloos are quite adequate at Dalby.:p

Not 5* I agree, but it is a great Fest, and I deal for astronomy and sight seeing given the weather. I have been to five, and thoroughly enjoyed each one. Great for youngsters too.

Ron.:D

We will be there! The good lady and I attended last year and had a great time, if you can manage it take a bike, there are some excellent routes round the forest. Hoping to meet a few more SGL members this year, how will I recognise you?

John

• 4 weeks later...
Hi All

This will be my first star party and I will need to buy a tent for the occasion. Has anyone a recommendation for a four berth?

Cheers.

Hi PhilD

This is my tent and am happy with it. It is a 6man but will only sleep 4 in comfort. (relatively that is).

Just enough for me and my bits and pieces and cooking etc. Although not recommended for cooking, with caution, you should be ok.

Check out Towsure camping and caravanning.

Happy shopping.

OK

post-18607-133877450327_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

tempted to go down the home county for this, but with kielder booked, and sorting out the galloway camp it will mean extreeeeeeme spending of brownie points with swmbo, may bring her down and fish thru the day,. (try anything i know).

hmmmm .. steve

What a shame this clashes with Salisbury!

We are planning on heading 'oop north after Salisbury and going to visit friends in Whitby (my favourite place in the universe!), plus the lakes too, and will be taking the 12 inch dob with us.

Cheers

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Archived