Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

It's official - your LP levels !

Dante

I came across this bit of information elsewhere and thought it was something worth passing on.

The only thing that's sad is the fact that it has underlined my poor skies which is a bit depressing :)

Apart from that it's really good.

http://avex.org.free.fr/cartes-pl/uk/UK-pl-relief-topo.html

It's supposed to be clear skies tonight but - -4 not sure if I'll be able to go out gotta a bit of a cough ;):mad:;):mad::p

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arghaghaghahgaghaghahghga RED all i see is REDDDDDD..

As you can guess, although im not in the thick of it, no chance of observing from my home due to 2 lamppost directly outside (which wont' be getting switched off due to them being near steps.). Thankfully brecon aint far away ;)

Probably about right in general, but completely wrong for me.

According to that, I must have a bright town just north of me, and it has me in an orange area.

In actual fact, although I'm very close to Weymouth town centre (about 1 mile), I get mag 5 skies.

Cheers

Rob

i think we are green/cyan from doune...we see the milky way as long as there is no moon, its not detailed but its there

ally i spy that edzell is pretty good, and that rannoch moor looks awesome, but getting there and staying the night is difficult....but gosh imagine the milky way overhead in mid-late august!....maybe bridge of orchy 10 miles south has a b+b?

I'm in the white zone its such a shame. I'm off to the Isle of Wight in July for a week and that doesn't look to bad. I wasn't planning on taking my scope but I will now !!!

IOW is excellent on the whole. We stay on the south side of the Island at Niton. Providing conditions allow, the skies are very nice indeed.

As for the map, very good but very depressing. I'm bordering a red/orange area with a magenta area just half a mile away to the west. Although my Eastern horizon looks onto yellow/green countryside with only a railway siding in between. Just a shame that siding has a train maintenance facility that when switched on produces more light than a full moon and completely overpowers 75% of the sky. The remaining 25% is in LP hell anyway.

Where's that rusty razor blade?

Russ

I don't think it is quite accurate for me either - it has use down as red-orange, and to the N & W one would think so, but to the S & upwards not the case. (East is obscured by the house). Sure, light pollution is cast seaward, but if observing seaward, from a light pollutiing area, the effect of light pollution is less toward the sea if there is little light pollution between the observer and the sea. That is my experience, and it seems born out in images If I image south, between SSE & SSW, the effects are not as noticeable as if I image between SW & W. And if I image between NW & N - well, there's no point even bothering, TBH.

M.

I live in a very light magenta area...almost white.

No wonder I can see practically diddly-squat through my scope. :evil6:

But on the other hand, how many of you live in a town that has a castle with a moat, which used to house a killer whale, eh? And does your town have a special pub-crawl bus, which has an actual bar on board? And do you have several pubs which are crooked with subsidence, thus providing you with the impression you've had a few when you haven't even started? (-much cheaper than the real thing!)

There's always a silver lining! :eek::D:D

Good point.

How many people have a sandy beach seven miles long on their doorstep, with the New Forest 30 minutes drive away, a concert hall where Jules Holland appears every Christmas, and a harbour where you can jump on a ferry to Normandy using cheap tickets from the local newspaper?

P.S., forgot to mention the first artificial surf reef in the northern hemisphere, and the national surfing championships being held about ten-minutes walk down the road this year.

M.

Good point.

How many people have a sandy beach seven miles long on their doorstep, with the New Forest 30 minutes drive away, a concert hall where Jules Holland appears every Christmas, and a harbour where you can jump on a ferry to Normandy using cheap tickets from the local newspaper?

P.S., forgot to mention the first artificial surf reef in the northern hemisphere, and the national surfing championships being held about ten-minutes walk down the road this year.

M.

... and you think that would make anybody jealous?

But this looks like it should help in the search for a new home

Steve

Must say, we are rather blessed with dark skies, up here in Scotland. Spose it helps when you're total population is smaller than London's.

My fav holiday destination, Catacol, on Arran, is unsurprisingly black. New year had stunning skies. Noticed that down the coast a bit, Pirnmill has a blip. Should be better now as the unwanted(by the residents) streetlights were shot out and or disconected.

Andy.

But on the other hand, how many of you live in a town that has a castle with a moat, which used to house a killer whale, eh? And does your town have a special pub-crawl bus, which has an actual bar on board? And do you have several pubs which are crooked with subsidence, thus providing you with the impression you've had a few when you haven't even started? (-much cheaper than the real thing!)

There's always a silver lining! :eek::D:D

that sounds like my kind of town:D

i am getting worried now, there is not a cloud in the sky at the moment, won't hold my breath though:evil6:

... and you think that would make anybody jealous?

But this looks like it should help in the search for a new home

Steve

It's not all great - try visiting Boscombe town centre - it's like the cast of 'Dawn of the Living Dead'...

M.

Cor, that sounds too much like a "Douglas Adams" creation...:eek::evil6:

Archived