Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A puppy is for life.... not just for Christmas.

LukeSkywatcher

The same applies for scopes etc. I'm just reading the "for sale" section of this forum and i can not believe the amount of gear people are selling that they only bought within the last couple of months. I know apeture fever is a killer but surely thinking of upgrading/selling off after just a couple of months is CRAZY.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul, if you check carefully, you will notice that some who are selling kit are nothing more than traders, they buy to sell on at a profit, although they dont make that clear. You can tell the types, they only post in the for sale section, usually are the first to snap up the bargains, and then sell them on very soon after. Oh, they usually vehemently deny being a trader too :) It's a shame really as genuine members can miss out on the bargains when they come up. It is something the mod team is looking very carefully at, at the moment.

There is usually a lot of second hand scopes out there though, and you probably know of people who have a telescope but never get it out of the cupboard.

Cheers

TJ

Thanks TJ. I am well aware of traders selling their wares online. I have to admit that i do not recognise many of the names selling scopes etc as users of this forum. Their ads are very convincing as to "one previous owner".

Personally i would only buy from a company i have complete faith in (such as FLO) or a user of astronomy forums that i know and have conversed with.

The trouble is, although they operate like a business in effect, ie making profit, they are unwilling to be legitimate enough to protect buyers with the DSR's for instance, not to mention the rights and wrongs of undeclared earnings.....

I suppose a captive audience like they find here is very tempting, but a glance at the post stats quickly starts to tell the story. Like you, i'd rather have the assurance of a personal contact from an established member, probably somebody met at a star party for instance, or a reputable, bona fide dealer. The distance selling regs are hugely important to online buying confidence, shame not to put oneself under their protective wings :)

These people that get through scopes so quickly, what are they like. Not something you would catch me doing........i've only had 27 telescopes in 8 years :);):D :D

I'll be the first to admit i am terrible, or should i say 'was' terrible. I think i may have kicked the habit. It's been a year now since i changed my scope and i strangely have no urge to change either one of the scopes i now own.

Personally i blame the imaging. From 1983-2002 i had 3 scopes. Then the imaging began and suddendly each scope just didn't quite seem right for the job. Went through endless scopes types and each seemed the wrong choice. Back to visuals and suddendly an 8" dob seems just the job with the SCT for the planets.

Imaging = disease :) only joking of course before a mob comes looking for me.

I hold my hands up and admit selling my first 'scope on very quickly. It released capital to allow me to buy my second! I've been fairly static with my 'scopes for a while, and think it will remain like that (although I will be adding a second imaging 'scope - or perhaps an OAG soon).

well im gonna keep my first scope no matter whatelse i get- its my first scope, and something immense that my nan and gran bought for me. but hey im a sentimental muppet!

I'm called a muppet more often than sentimental, but I'd never sell my first scope, my Polish PZO mak. Bought for me, by my dad, when the family didn't have much money. Too much history in that scope. As for the rest of my scopes, my two small Tal's are collectors items(especially the very old model, Alcor).

The 200K won't ever be sold. Just too good and is my main scope. I'll have this as my permanent setup when I get round to building a shed obs.

The 66 apo is my birding scope.

My newly aquired Carton achro is too good to sell. Had some some stunning views already. Cools down in 15 minutes too!!

The Burgess apo won't be sold either, cause I always wanted a true Fluorite doublet(could not, and probably never will, be able to afford a Tak) and the lens is awesome. When someone like Thomas Back says it's one of the best doublets 'out there', you know you're onto a winner from the start.

Which leaves my Tal 1. No point selling it, as I'd be lucky to get £50 for it, and that's insane. Best buy, as a starter scope, in the second hand market. Just check out ebay. At least 3 a month on there.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :)

Cheers,

Andy.

ps: forgot about the 2M. Couldn't sell it, cause the mount is used all the time, and it's great. Don't use the 6"F8 newt OTA. Selling that without the mount, is like buying a cat and not taking it's brother too. Sick.(have a prior history there!!)

And some people are suffering from the recession as well. It can be a hard decision, but there is often a lot of money tied up in astronomical gear that sometimes needs to be released to meet unexpected bills etc.

I must admit that I've never had problems with buying stuff from SGL members at all. Even an item that Royal Mail lost was reimbursed to me with no hassle by the seller. I have seen some posts that were thinly disguised traders, which have been reported to admin. We all have a duty to be on the look out to keep SGL the great place it is for dedicated astronomers!

I still have my grandads 10x 50's that started me off in stargazing and birdwatching. Also have my first scope- Tasco 76mm newt, complete with holes, dents and rust, but would never part with it or the bins. I must admit to buying lots of scopes in the past few years- and some have moved on rather quickly, but only because i have been experimenting to see what is the right setup for me (slowly getting there!)

We all have a duty to be on the look out to keep SGL the great place it is for dedicated astronomers!

Well said and that is why the Admin/Moderators are keeping an eye on the For Sale Section.

Paul, if you check carefully, you will notice that some who are selling kit are nothing more than traders, they buy to sell on at a profit, although they dont make that clear. You can tell the types, they only post in the for sale section, usually are the first to snap up the bargains, and then sell them on very soon after. Oh, they usually vehemently deny being a trader too ;) It's a shame really as genuine members can miss out on the bargains when they come up. It is something the mod team is looking very carefully at, at the moment.

There is usually a lot of second hand scopes out there though, and you probably know of people who have a telescope but never get it out of the cupboard.

Cheers

TJ

I have to admit i never thought of trading in that way, and I have to say i agree it isn't a good thing that amateurs are missing out on good deals because traders are snapping them up as soon as they come on the market. Is it right to say this is an unfair thing to do by traders or am i missing something?

:)

I have several scopes.

2 in active use. 1 stored away that I should sell but it was the scope I found the doubles with so it has sentimental value.

I gave my 1st scope away to my nephew as he like astronomy and I didn't need it.

Cheers

Ian

My 1st scope was a 6" (which I've still got) but to avoid repetitive aperture fever I went from that to a 14". I've still got aperture fever but coupled with an understanding that, having passed 40, I'm not going to be able to manage anything bigger in the long term.

I sometimes wonder if people have more than 1 username on here for the trading purpose? In fact I'm sure I've recognised the same person under different guises.

My first scope is now my guide scope. My second scope is on loan, but I've never used it (it's a 60mm achro... it came with the mount I got for peanuts on ebay). My third scope is my main imaging scope, and my fourth scope is my lunar/planetary scope. I use three of them regularly, depending on whats about. I can't afford aperture fever ...

I have to admit i never thought of trading in that way, and I have to say i agree it isn't a good thing that amateurs are missing out on good deals because traders are snapping them up as soon as they come on the market. Is it right to say this is an unfair thing to do by traders or am i missing something?

:)

Nope, I think you have it summed up nicely there. Also the point about various usernames being operative ;)

Archived