Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Extended! Alnilam to M42.

ollypenrice

Hi All,

Thanks for the kind comments on the slightly narrower version of this image. Rob's little nudge to keep going sent me back to my third panel, of which I had despaired, and I tried again. It came about right so now the image has two belt stars and that nice blue nebulosity in the upper left. Don't forget to scroll over to M42 because this thing is enormous!

Olly

720524869_EZET4-X3.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's incredible Olly, I hope you get some more clear skies to add even more to this mega project.

It's very similar framing to this one by Rogelio Bernal Andreo, I prefer your deeper reds in the HH and less harsh processing though. :headbang: Nice one...

Jordan

I have seen that Rogelio Bernal Andreo image, Jordan, but I can't say the fantasy colour scheme does it for me! A trifle lilac for my conservative taste... However, I'd like to know how he managed to get his Ha data to dominate the browns as he did. Still thinking about that one...

Olly

Layer masking perchance Olly? The boundary edges of his brown areas look a bit forced somehow. Also, 30 min subs, that does make a big difference where faint Ha is concerned.

This is beautiful, truly gorgeous. Gonna add Mintaka too? :headbang:

TJ, no layer masking other than the Trapezium. I haven't touched the brown boundaries, though they are are stronger in Ha so that layer will have sharpened them a bit. No 30 min subs either! Ha were ten (or fifteen?) minutes each, the rest five - apart from 10 and 60 secs for the Trapezium. I was inspired by my guest and friend Maurice Toet from Holland to do this shot. I was amazed by his brown boundary to the left of the Running Man and thought he must have invented it, but no, there it is. There are other odd 'artifacts' that aren't artifacts, too, like that dead straight line sloping up to the left of B33. I have checked other images and it's for real. Weird.

Cheers,

Olly

I think its about time i moved to France.....i`m just sick to the back teeth of the british "climate":mad:

Sorry for the rant Olly but its terrible here atm and seeing images of this quality just makes it worse!!! But i do love the image!!!!!! Even my missus said it was "pretty" so it must be good!!!

Alan:)

Not a rant, Alan! Rant is what I used to do in the UK and you couldn't print it on a forum... I knew from childhood that I was just not cut out for life on a rock in the North Sea. Most of the things I enjoy doing require a sunny climate and so here I am.

We do get extremes, though; winter is cold with a big C but sunny and so you don't get deprived of light. There's a great Dylan line, 'California's fine, you sure get lots of sun / But I'm used to four seasons and California's got but one.' So I'm a happy bunny astronomer and cyclist I guess.

Olly

Archived