NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Why do you observe.

mik

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been asked this question many times, usually after telling someone about a freezing February night up a mountain somewhere. I've tried to explain it, using all the points mentioned so far, the majesty, the awe, the silence, the vast timescales and distances, but this usually only leads to a rapid glazing of eyes and rictus grin. The real reason is, it is what I do, and I can't imagine not doing it. For me, it is as natural as breathing or eating. Oddly, this question has never been asked before by a fellow astronomer. We all know the answer already.

BTW, brilliant post Carol.

Just goes to show how important memories are to us and the fact that looking at the stars is a setting just made for making memories with others. It's why I love sharing the mysteries and awesomeness of the stars with my wife, friends and even strangers.

It's something we feel isn't it, not just do.

I observe because to me being out with the telescope under a sky full of stars, learning to navigate the sky trying to get my head around the fact that the light and the constellations we are seeing have taken millions of years to get to us.

Plus as well as sharing with my parents the objects, when I am out there alone, it allows me to forget all about the everyday stuff of life and for that observing time nothing else matters other than enriching my life with the knowledge of the skies.

Like many others, I've grown up wth a natural fascination of most things and the night sky has to be top of my list. I observe because of the wonder, the beauty and the calmness a clear nights observing can bring. I find it astonishing that there is this incredible natural display readily available obove our heads containing countless objects of all types, shapes and sizes. 'Child in a free sweet shop' isn't even close :-D. What makes it all the more inspirational is the fact that what we are looking at is simply the world our planet lives in, our huge, infinate back garden. Ever changing through the months yet always familiar through the years. No-matter what trials and tribulations your going through in your life, the night sky is the silent friend that is always there to smile back at you with its beautiful face.

As a final comment, one thing that always inspires my observing is when the opportunity comes to share the experience with friends. I feel this is above all one of the most important things for this once thought lonely hobby which no doubt helps to make the interest grow.

Matt

• 8 months later...

I haven't even started observing yet but I like the idea of being able to look beyond our own little patch to being able to see celestial objects that have fascinated us for centuries. Only with newer technology do we seem to be getting a grasp of the forces at work in the universe and incredible forces they are.

I like observing and imaging for several reasons. There's the wonder of what I can see with my own eyes, the distances are mind boggling and I like being mind boggled, I like telescope technology and building a collection of nice bits, it's a good and satisfying learning experience, and I like seeing the thrill on other peoples faces when I show them something they never saw before. Also it get's me away from her indoors for a few hours and gives her chance to hoover the lounge lol :)

Also it get's me away from her indoors for a few hours and gives her chance to hoover the lounge lol :p

You must have a big lounge :)

I just love it as it enables me to forget all my troubles and relax.

As well as "most of the above" I would add something I like a lot about visual observing, which is the way it connects us with human history. When you're looking at galaxies with a dob you're essentially doing what Herschel did, with much the same sort of equipment (even if our coatings are a lot better, and our skies a heck of a lot more light polluted). As you learn about observing you discover all the things the old-timers already knew about - such as trying to keep warm at night, or staying dark-adapted. Most of all you learn what Herschel called the "art of seeing".

I observe because it is my escape from normal life, it's my quiet time. To be in total awe of the sights I see, they never fail to amaze me, even though I've been seeing them for 27 years.

This hobby also got me through the darkest times of my life, an escape from the years of bullying at school. Just me, my scope and the night sky……..not another person to be seen or heard. I could lose myself in the wonder of the things I was seeing, let the imagination run riot. It always gave me something to look forward too! These days it's still an escape but from the stress and worry of adult life. And now I do like others joining me, especially my kids. I'm amazed i still get so excited at the sight of a clear sky and the possibility of observing. After all these years the enthusiasm just hasn't dimmed. I am completely addicted to viewing the night sky.

I did catch the imaging bug from 2001-2006. But I never got that far with it, I spent too much money, it made me bad tempered, smashed kit, kicked things, threw things over the neighbours fence, cursed the darn cables…….but what really got to me was the guilt of wasting a clear sky because I was too busy trying to make something work. In the end I was so happy to walk away from the imaging…….in definitely wasn't for me.

I take my scope out just as i've done tonite looked at the old fav's looked for something new.After about an hour i put the scope away put a deck chair in the middle of the garden and just look up, it's all there (what more can a man ask for).

Robert

As many of replies have stated i observe because it brings back very strong and happy memories from my childhood.

I was born in Cheltenham, Gloucester. and when i was being brought up by my mum and dad we lived in a small semi terraced house right at the foot of some hills, next to a large farmers field. Many a evening me and my dad would stroll up the hill and have a gaze at the stars. He never actually owned a telescope (Could'nt afford it) but we had an old pair of binoculars that were my Grandad's, WW2 i think! but they enabled for some great views!

I continued doing this untill i was about 6/7.

Without going into too much personal details because it is upsetting for me and you probably don't want to be bored, My dad left when i was 7 and have not seen him again since then, I never really understood why.

After that i kind of forgot about the stars and didn't really gaze for a long time after that, until i was about 12.

My uncle is a professional Wildlife and landscape photographer who got me into photography and i really enjoyed it! Check out his website! it is really awesome!

Www.Gerogemccarthy.com

So after i got into photography, i recived a camera one birthday and started taking pictures left, right and center! About 6 months later i got given a pair of second hand Binoculars, having just moved to sussex i thought i would make the most of them and started going for walks along the beach with the dog. I thought i could try out some Very amateur astro photography with this 3mp camera and a pair of binoculars older than me :D Wishful thinking ey!

One evening, i remember it well, the sky was perfectly clear and there was a huge harvest moon. I had the Bino's with me and spent about 2 hours just gazing at the sky with them!

Ever since then i have been hooked with going outside, exploring my local area, both land and sky!

Especially going for long walks on the beach at night which is just magical!

I have recently been watching the program on BBC2 Wonders of the solar system and found it phenomenally interesting!

My girlfriend and I really enjoyed and thought it would be a good idea to begin astronomy as a hobby which i hope will be a long and happy one! Although i think i am a bit more er.... Obsessive over it :)

So anyway without rambling on to much more!

I observe because it makes me feel safe, secure, happy, eager to know whats out there! and most important it makes me feel tiny! but at the same time brings objects that are millions of miles away, and turns them into memories :D

So there we go! a not so brief explanation of why i observe :D

I got given a telescope for Christmas when I was about 7 and I've been hooked ever since. The same year I also got given a book with a map of the moon in it that showed all the sites of the moon landings, it also had some stuff about spacecraft including the moon rockets, pioneer and voyager. Ever since I've had an interest in space and science fiction. I recently bought a telescope from the mid-80s off ebay and got some use again out of the 0.96mm eyepiece from my first telescope which I still have along with the book about space. I recently showed someone Saturn for the first time, it was great to share the enjoyment of seeing something so far away and beautiful.

I observe rather then image simply because for me you can not beat the real deal. What i mean is that for ME..............finding/seeing objects with my own eyes through a scope or bins is far more rewarding then locating and imaging objects via a computer (be it Go-To or whatever) and then spending time on the computer post processing those images. I am not saying that imaging is WRONG. Its just not for me, beyond taking a few widefield images with my camera.

Astronomy is a science with many different fields: Observational,astro-imaging,radio telescopic etc. They are all completely different aspects of the one science but come together in the end to further our understanding of the universe.

It's all good.

Astronomy is such a huge subject that it needs ALL aspects of it (be it observing,imaging,radio) to work.

Personally.............observing works best for me. I have always been fasinated by the night sky and observing lets me get a bit closer to it then my eyes alone.

If anything i enjoy the peace and tranquility i get from being alone with my thoughts as i observe.

It allows me to expand my mind in ways that everyday life doesnt allow.

As for what music i listen to while observing!!!!!

I usually listen to the French composer Jean michel Jarre. His music is very kind of "cosmic" and goes well with observing although much of it is a little up tempo and can be distracting.

Archived